Friday 20 July 2012

Yesterday there was an accident

on my regular bicycle route. I had heard an ambulance coming along the main road as I rode through the small park near the library.
It was in full emergency mode - lights, siren and horn as it went through red lights at the pedestrian crossing.  The sight and sound always leave me feeling anxious. At very least lives are being turned upside down and there is always the possibility that someone who set out just a little while before is no longer alive. As there are four schools very close I am also conscious it could be a child.
When it had gone I used the pedestrian crossing and then pedalled on. I turned into the street which is the designated "bicycle route". There, several blocks down, were the flashing lights - more than one set of flashing lights. I turned my tricycle around and went up to the parallel street and went that way. I did not need to get in the way. I did not need to gawk. I did not want to know.
A moment later another cyclist passed me. We know one another by sight.
      "Don't think I want to know about that," he said.
I could only agree. I resumed my normal route a little later, even more cautiously than usual. Traffic makes me nervous. I hate excessive speed. I loathe impatient, careless drivers.
On my return journey an hour or so later everything was quiet. The police were still there but their lights were no longer flashing. I still turned up the steet before I reached them and went the long way around. I know other people would have gone to look but I have never been able to do that.  Unless I can do something to help I need to move on.

5 comments:

Rachel Fenton said...

It really makes me cross on the motorway when I am stalled by an unexpected jam, only to find it is from the gawkers watching an accident in the traffic going the other way. Too little respect for life.

catdownunder said...

I have to agree Rachel - an unwarranted intrusion into the affairs of other people!

Unknown said...

Carelessness leads to road mishaps! Drivers should at all times stay focused and consider the welfare of others. If heavier punishments are enforced on all reckless drivers, I’m sure that the yearly accident statistics will be reduced significantly.

-Raleigh Crowl

Cindie Guevara said...

I never liked seeing the scene of an accident! It makes me feel dizzy, uncomfortable, and sad. I agree with Raleigh that stricter laws and heavier punishments will surely lessen road accidents.

Unknown said...

There is nothing more I hate than reckless driving and ignorance of the road rules and traffic laws. These two are proven to cause most road accidents – recorded or not recorded. It’s mind-boggling how it could be so hard for others to follow simple road rules, especially where there is pedestrian traffic, like in this case – a school zone.

Amy Baron