Tuesday 24 October 2017

Victorian era arts and crafts

were, by present day standards, wildly fancy and over-decorated. It seems if they could "make something for something" then they would.
I have been looking at their work lately and feel almost overwhelmed by their need to decorate every possible surface. It is in stark contrast to the brief glimpse I caught of a modern "house-home" program where everything was white and there was almost nothing in the way of "decoration". 
Queen Victoria was born almost 200 years ago, at a time when people were facing great changes in the way things were manufactured.  Those changes also meant that access to the materials for arts and crafts also increased, particularly in the areas which interest me - knitting and crochet.
People started to publish instructions about the way to do things. The earliest knitting and crochet patterns are not written in a way that modern patterns are written. Far more assumptions are made about what the knitter or crocheter knows. There are no graphs or diagrams to follow. It is all written out and often in ways that are quite foreign to the modern worker, indeed the instructions may be impossible for a modern day knitter to follow when they say something like, "Put on sufficient stitches..."
I am thinking of all this because there is a proposal for a project in the air. If it happens I am going to have to translate several of those patterns into "modern" instructions - write them so that modern knitters can follow them but produce the same sort of garment. It will also mean finding equivalent yarn - something of a problem in itself.
Will people try if I do it? I don't know but some every day activities in the Victorian era, like the making of Dorset buttons, have now been turned into art forms so they might.  Whatever happens I know I am  going to learn something.
 

4 comments:

Jodiebodie said...

Sounds fascinating. Good luck and have fun with the challenge.

Anonymous said...

Do you know Jean's Knitting? (jeanmiles.blogspot.com) She writes there of ?kate Davies or ?Lovick or someone else replicating a Shetland shawl for modern conditions. Your local spinners may be able to help with wool.

Please keep us informed of your progress. It will be most interesting to follow your learning experience.

I have a side-ways knitted pattern for a top my mother had which I would like to knit in modern materials - but not the original, which I think is two ply. One day...

LMcC

catdownunder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
catdownunder said...

Yes, Jean and I know one another - have exchanged a thing or two over the years. Her family life and cats are part of my essential reading