Monday 8 April 2019

Fasting blood tests

are cruelty to not-so-dumb animals.
Yes, I'll do it because I have been told to do it but this is the second one this year. I haven't had anything to eat for more than twelve hours. I am hungry. I can't concentrate on what I should be doing (apart from grumbling on this blog post) and I am cross.
It should not be necessary. 
Of course I also sit here and think about all those people who do not have enough to eat.
The Senior Cat's church has a donation box for one of the local Food Banks. Each week I give him something to put in the box. I know not everyone does it. Some people may not be able to afford it. I afford it by watching the "specials" at the supermarket carefully. I know what good banks can use. If a likely item is on special and I have the money I might buy two and keep one for the following week or for later than that. Occasionally, especially around Christmas, I will buy something a little bit special because I know the food bank in question will make up a hamper for a family in particular need.
It worries me that people need to use these places. I know that there are people where a sole breadwinner has suddenly lost his or her job, that there are families where illness has meant unexpected expenses and households where some other misfortune has struck. I want to help these people even if I can't do much to help.
I also know that there are households where the tobacco and alcohol "needs" of adults have preference over feeding the children. I know there are households where the money is mismanaged and where people don't know how to prepare meals because they have never been taught.
The subject of food banks came up in the post-meeting discussion on Saturday afternoon. I know there are people who "double dip" at these places. I've had long conversations with the people who work in them and who counsel the people who use them on a regular basis. There are people who rely on the fact that they will get food however they have spent their money. 
When the need is greater than the supply however  I am left wondering if that "cashless welfare card" is really such a bad idea for some people. Is it really wrong to say "this is money provided by taxpayers for essentials"?
I know I'll get something to eat later but even in this country there are children who won't because adults have put their "needs" first.
I do think that's wrong. 

No comments: