Monday 3 August 2020

Knitting a blanket

involves "work", a lot of "work".
I also happen to be designing the wretched thing, square by square. That is more "work".  It is "work" because there are other things I would rather be doing with my limited knitting time.
All this started because of - will you believe this? - the Covid19 virus.  The virus has meant we won't be having the state's annual Show this year. By now we should have had the Steward's meeting we have before the Show. A fortnight today we should be starting the week long set up in the Handicrafts area. Judging would have been done by the end of the third week in August. There would have been the last minute panic moments, the adjustments, the questions and more.
This  year there is none of that and we have no idea whether next year will be possible. The Showgrounds is owned by a non-profit charity which has a twenty million dollar shortfall to make up somehow. They are still looking for ways to keep the public engaged and interested.
This is where I came in. I came in with one idea - partly borrowed from a Canadian judge who was there last year.  As is the way with such things the idea got bigger...and, "Of course Cat can do that."
I should have said, "No." 
Admittedly, although the Senior Cat was causing some concern back then, the present problems did not exist. I agreed to design a blanket, a Downunder themed blanket, as a "knit-along". For those of you who do not know about such things a "knit-along" or "KAL" is a pattern or project where the parts of clues are given out at regular intervals and people work on them as they become available. 
Writing any pattern is a lot of work. I have said elsewhere I do not like this sort of technical writing. This one is proving particularly difficult. I have to write it in a way that will allow both "confident" and "less-confident" knitters to do it if they so wish.  I also have to design it in such a way as to challenge people to "do their own thing" with respect to colour. I have had to offer alternatives to the way in which the squares are actually knitted. 
We had already asked for people to knit squares - and to design their own if they could. The squares will be joined together for blankets for a bushfire affected region's wild life park. We asked for 30cm squares - larger than the usual 20-25cm squares. It  gives people some "design space" - and should save some sewing together.
I have had a few squares given to me. They are nicely knitted but very plain. I am hoping for more, a lot more.
And I wonder whether, when we start putting the squares up on the website, if anyone will actually knit one or two or more? Will all the work I have gone to simply go to waste? I have no way of knowing. 
Knitting a blanket is a lot of work - but designing and writing the pattern is even more work. 
If you can knit.... please!

2 comments:

Jodiebodie said...

I don't understand why you took it on if there are 'other things you would rather be doing with your limited knitting time' and you don't like the technical writing.

Personally, the pandemic conditions have caused such disarray that this formerly obsessive crocheter has barely had the energy to pick up a hook. One would expect there to be more time for crocheting and knitting when things shut down and people need to stay home but I am finding it is busier than ever with other activities. Nothing is simple anymore.

So I am surprised that you are taking on more at a time when life is becoming more complicated. The blanket is a lovely idea but a shame that you are burdened by the implementation of it.

Anonymous said...

Jodie, Cat took it on before other things happened in her life. She is trying very hard to support the RAHS, which is in serious trouble because of the virus. She is also trying to help maintain an interest in the Show so that there will be another one next year. Perhaps you could consider this before criticizing her? Ros