Thursday 19 November 2020

An almost total lock down

has been declared for the state for the next six days. I can leave the house once a day to get essential food or medicine. If the Senior Cat was critically ill I might get an "end of life" visit. (How I hope that is not necessary and that anyone in that position does get a visit to someone they love.) I cannot even go out on a pedal for exercise. 

The Chief Medical Officer of the state looks exhausted. She must also be very worried. They know what happened. It took one cleaner at one of the "medi-hotels" to touch something in a room where an infectious person was staying. She passed it on to her husband, her parents, her extended family and out into the community. Yes, just one person.

Now I am fortunate. Before the announcement was made I had prowled off to the library and picked up a book I needed. I also picked up several to read because the weather was going to be warm and lying on my sleeping mat with my paws on a book is nice on a hot summer night. I have plenty to read but this is reading purely for the pleasure of it. I also have plenty of work to do here - trying to keep the garden alive in the heat takes up time along with all the usual things. I have crafty interests and ideas and plans too.

And late yesterday afternoon the first of the neighbours called in before the complete lock down began and made sure I was all right and said to let them know if I needed anything. Later a second neighbour also came over to check. I also know of other people who, in an emergency, I could call on. Of course I hope it isn't necessary but it is good to know they are there.

Provided the power doesn't fail I also have my friends in other places I can email, tweet and post to in other ways. It isn't the middle of winter with dark days and no heating. 

I can cope with all this even though I am very anxious about the Senior Cat. Next week I may be able to go and reassure him through the window of his room. We will see.

It is other people I now worry about. I have rung two of them to check and I will ring them again. One of them sounded very anxious. Did she have essentials? Yes. There had been a delivery that day from one of my favourite supermarket workers. While he was there he did a very small job for her.  "I didn't ask him. He just saw it was a problem and asked me if I would like him to fix it." I'll let his boss know later.  

It is that tiny thing which might be the difference between extreme anxiety and the more normal, natural sort of anxiety that comes with this sort of thing. We can get through this thing can't we?

But can I cope with doing some more tidying up and clearing out?  

No comments: