Friday 6 August 2021

Quarantine or croissants?

Apparently there were "queues around the block" in another state, not for Covid testing or Covid jabs but for croissants. This was in the capital city of another state at a time when people were supposed to be staying at home except for a few essential reasons.

I really am puzzled by this. You would risk everything for a croissant? Perhaps it is because I do not actually like croissants. I don't much care for brioche either. Both are too rich for me. I certainly would not be queuing up for either at any time.

But why on earth would you queue up for a croissant when you are supposed to be in lock down? Croissants are not bread, certainly not the sort of bread I prefer. I like whole grain breads, breads with seeds, breads which have some taste and texture. Croissants rate along with the cheap, square, white sliced loaves in my book. 

Yes! I know! I am sorry if you like croissants but I would rather have a bread roll. 

There is a cafe not far from here where they sell "ham and cheese croissants" and I know people who say they are "the best". On a rare day out several years ago I had lunch in the cafe with someone else. They had the ham and cheese croissant. I had an egg and lettuce sandwich made from very dark rye bread. It was so filling I could only eat three of the four triangles. The person I was with ate the fourth triangle. I wondered how filling the croissant was. It was also more expensive than my sandwich. 

But, back to queuing for the croissants? Well is a croissant more important than your health? Is it more important than the health of other people? 

I know the police were out and about. Did they move any of these people on? Did they tell them to go home? I know they fined some people in other parts of the city. Did they do it there too?

Now yes there is a problem with all this. Bakeries were permitted to be open. Bread is considered to be an essential purchase. Was the bakery selling bread as well? I don't know. I do know that people were not queuing for bread. They were queuing for those croissants. It all seems very strange to me. 

Our local bakery is on the outer part of the shopping centre. They have had strict rules in place about  how many people can be in the shop. If someone tries to violate those rules they will be politely but firmly told to leave. If it has lost them some customers it has gained them others. It's a popular place. They don't need to make "the world's best croissants" to do well. 

People don't need to buy "the world's best croissants". I am sure they are very nice - if you like that sort of thing - but they are not essential.  I think I will stick with the appropriate "social distancing" and good bread. You can have my share of croissants.   

No comments: