Tuesday 22 September 2009

We had a storm

yesterday. A cold front tore through the state like an angry teenager intent on doing as much damage as possible as fast as possible. Trees were uprooted. Houses were unroofed. Hailstones the size of golf-balls and larger dented cars and smashed windscreens. It was too dark to see properly. Power was lost to more than 30,000 homes and businesses.
Our house actually trembled with the force of the thunder overhead. I could feel the concrete slab on which it sits vibrate beneath my feet. The windows shivered violently. It rained. The roof guttering had indigestion and overflowed from an excess of water.
At one point my father tried to say something to me and had to shout to try and make himself heard. "Turn the computer off!" I already had. I do not take risks with that. I read by flicker instead.
Then, quite suddenly, the sun came out. It was still raining quite steadily but the sun had come out. I looked out again.There were pools of water everywhere with small white opals of hailstone glistening in them.

2 comments:

Rachel Fenton said...

Wow! I love storms like that - when nothing bad happens to me or mine! Reminds me of how little I mean in the scheme of things.

Anonymous said...

We've been in a storm for the last two days: last night it was rain and lightning; today it was a dust storm.

This weather is seriously freaky.