Wednesday 11 September 2013

I spent an extremely

frustrating afternoon yesterday. When the new computer arrived in February it naturally had to have the latest programme - Windows 8. I have come to the conclusion I do not like Windows 8. It has some thoroughly irritating features. And no, I am not alone in finding them irritating. Other people also find them irritating.
I also had to re-install a number of programmes and, in one case, I needed to buy a new version of a programme I use. First of all it was unavailable as it was being "updated" and then there were other delays. As it is hobby related rather than work related I have endured all this in silence.
The new version finally arrived several weeks ago but I had not had time to do what I wanted to do with it - and then discovered that I cannot do what I used to do.
It used to be simple. The first version of the programme, which will turn pictures into charts, was easy to use. It was straightforward. It did not require a degree in computing or rocket science. The new version would appear to require both.
I had to hunt for several tools in the programme. What was once obvious is no longer obvious.
I can convert things from pdfs to jpegs. I can save things as jpegs.
I should be able to put a jpeg into the programme, convert it to a chart and save it. (I should export it back to my own pictures and then e-mail it on to someone else.) I can't. I cannot open the files. They save themselves as jgg. files (unknowns) which is ridiculous because the programme is there on the computer.
It seems other people have a similar problem. I searched and discovered this.
It is my own fault of course. I should have done a search before I bought the new version of the programme. Nevertheless the capacity to save a file would seem to be basic.
Growl. I will consult the computing guru who is transporting his partner, the Senior Cat and myself to the Show today. I am taking the rest of the day off. I am going to knit and talk to people about knitting and other craft. Yes, I may have had to get up early and I may need to work late but, in between those things, I am going to be there for the Senior Cat if he needs me (but he can prowl alone because he prefers to do that) and I am going to enjoy myself.

3 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

Oh, sympathy to you, Cat. One of the daughters has just (this week) got a much needed replacement lap-top. She called to say she had got it set up but "I don't like Windows 8" I just hope my little net-book will stagger on a bit longer - and hope the next version operating system is improved!

catdownunder said...

I know I am not the only one Jean - and I sympathise madly with your daughter!

frances thomas said...

Phew. I've just asked to keep Windows 7 on my new computer - you've convinced me I'm right!