Tuesday 29 August 2017

How much pocket money

do teenagers actually get?
It is a question the Senior Cat has asked me more than once after observing the teenagers in the local shopping centre. I will therefore be interested to hear what he has to say about the article in this morning's paper. 
Apparently some teenagers have been ordering lunch to be delivered to school via something called "Uber-eats". The student interviewed on the front page  has admitted to ordering from "Maccas down the road".
Hold it right there. I  have never eaten one of those. I don't want to. As for ordering one for lunch....that's probably my "lunch out" budget for several days. I don't know how much it costs but I am sure it is more than a sandwich from homemade bread taken from home.
I had to earn my pocket money. We all did. Mum had sheets printed off and, each week, she would fill one in with the various things that needed to be done. My brother and I, as the two oldest, had the most to do. Middle Cat came next and the Black Cat came last. We had to do things like set the table, wash up and dry, take out the rubbish, sweep, dust, put the clothes out on the line, bring them in, help with the ironing (Mum did the Senior Cat's shirts), vacuum, clean the bathroom, and more. Things might get added if something else was happening. 
And woe betide us if something didn't get done - and done to her satisfaction. 
We didn't get to cook. Mum didn't like us in the kitchen when she was busy doing that. We did get to do the other things. Mum worked as a teacher and then as the head of a school. There was no time for teaching us to cook but the other tasks were considered fairly simple and able to be handled by us. 
And yes, we got pocket money for doing those things. Our Sunday School "collection" came from that. We were expected to save to buy birthday presents and Christmas presents. (Ours were often home made but we would buy items to make them.) 
I know other children got more pocket money than we did. Our grandparents would occasionally slip us an extra sixpence or shilling. We knew better than to let Mum know about that. If she had known then she would have insisted on us "saving" it. 
I am sure she thought she was doing the right thing. She was brought up in a household where there was no pocket money at all. Even when she went to teacher training college she had to hand over all her allowance to her mother - who returned just enough for the fares.  
I wonder what the teens ordering food from the fast food places in the local shopping centre would think of that? Have they considered ordering from this "Uber-eats"? Do they have the money to do that?
A couple of weeks back I actually had coffee with a friend in the shopping centre. The last time I did that was back at the beginning of the year. On that occasion I was invited and the friend I went with paid. He earns a lot more than I ever will so I didn't feel too bad about that. I know other people do things like that on a much more regular basis. 
Part of me not doing it is my limited income but the other part is that I grew up not doing that sort of thing. I can't remember going out with a group and having a milkshake - which is what teens might have done back then. And yes, I suppose I did miss out - but I suspect there were some other teens who did too. There will be some who miss out now.
But, there are others who seem to have an extraordinary amount. I can't quite get my head around a teenager, still at school, having the sort of pocket money which allows them to contemplate getting fast food for lunch - and having it delivered. 
 

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

I went to Roy Morgan to find out [about Young Australians]. Or sometimes the banks ask about spending money which teenagers have.

UberEats is not the only delivery service. People might also use Foodora and/or Deliveroo.

Teens who are interested in food might spend on a Marley Spoon box or similar. Especially on the preparing side.

Someone was making a pork lettuce turkey sandwich with Turkish bread. The restaurant version cost $17.00. The make-it-yourself version cost a few dollars less - on the order of $13 or $14.

It might be good to keep an eye on the wages and expenses of local teenagers.

Sometimes teenagers are paid in pocket money a dollar per year of age per week or even per day. Or a little less than that - $7-$10 from the more frugal parents.

Many teenagers are given $20 or $50 or $100 for an outing.