Friday 5 January 2018

There was a big fire

at the abattoir in a country town on the other side of the ranges. I first heard about it from someone who was passing through the town at the time and then it came through various sources of "official" news. 
One of the "burning" questions seemed to be "will the price of meat rise?"
Sorry, my immediate thought was, "How many people won't have a job to go to tomorrow?"
There are about 1400 people directly employed  by the abattoir. Other people in the town indirectly depend on those people being employed, on using services there, spending money there, putting their children into day car or school...and much more. 
The fire is going to have a major impact on the town. The owners are going to go through months and months - perhaps several years - of worry and stress too. 
And all some people could think about was whether the price of meat will rise. The answer to that apparently is that it probably won't - or not significantly.
I admit it wouldn't have made much difference to me. The Senior Cat and I eat very little red meat. We mostly eat chicken and fish. I would happily give it up altogether but the Senior Cat likes a very little "now and then". His eating habits have changed over the years. 
Yes, that has partly been my influence. Once or twice after my mother died I put a meatless meal on the table for him. What would he say?
         "Make them again?" he asked of the mushroom/nut patties.
Yes, willingly.
         "What's this made of? It tastes good."
The Senior Cat is, even now, a pleasure to feed. Even though he has admitted he "never feels hungry" now he appreciates what is put in front of him. He thanks me every time. 
He wouldn't thank me for a piece of steak - however tender. He wouldn't thank me for a half dozen slices of roast lamb either. But offer him salmon patties and salad on a hot day and he is happy - and I know there are plenty of people his age who still think the only meal worth eating is something that contains meat and three vegetables. 
So we have never done much to support the people who work in the abattoir in the little country town. It doesn't bother me much in that sense but I do feel concerned that so many people are, at least for  now, out of work. It's going to have a major impact on their lives - and that is far more disturbing than a possible rise in the price of something most people have far too much of anyway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a friend in England whose grandmother hated the new-look Sheffield - clean and bright. She remembered the old, dirty Sheffield, with people in work, spending earned money, keeping the shops and the community alive.

LMcC

Anonymous said...

My first thought too was the jobs.

Don't know how it will effect the price of meat, but I think most of the meat from that abattoir is exported anyway.

Adelaide Dupont said...

Salmon and salad are so delicious!

I wondered if Senior Cat were into pasta.

And, yes, the old Sheffield was full of work and earning and learning. The new one is too - knowledge economy and such.

1400 jobs + onflow is a big cut to the world.

VirtualQuilter: where to? Asia? the Middle East?