Wednesday 17 January 2018

I want some publicity!

I want lots of air time to get the message out.
Or do I?
Personally I don't want any publicity. I like to lead a quiet life out of the spotlight.  Some people feel differently. 
One of the regular columnists in the state newspaper is complaining about a neo-Nazi group being given air time.  She is saying that, like the anti-vaccination lobby, they should never be given space to air their views.
I don't like neo-Nazi ideas or the ideas of the anti-vaccination lobby. I think they are dangerous. But, I am not sure that the idea of not giving them any air time works.  It is now possible for them to get their message out there any way and get it out there in an uncontrolled way.
There are plenty of other dangerous ideas circulating out there too. There are ideas about diet, climate, abuse, religion, politics, people, places, and more. Some of them make people do very foolish things.
I can't remember all the details now but I do remember something the late Mel Marshak, told us about in a psychology lecture. She was talking about  how people will follow a charismatic leader whatever they believe. She gave us the example of a Mrs Keech who, if I remember correctly, had her followers convinced that the world was going to be engulfed by a tidal wave. Only by moving to the highest peaks in America and setting up a new community would people be saved. 
It was a long time ago now but Mrs Keech got publicity. Some followed her. Her version of the story would be laughed at now but it caused some people great distress at the time.
Was Mrs Keech's story really so different from some of the stories about climate change? We can believe climate change is real but do we also need to believe the worst we are told about it? Yes, we live on a tiny and overcrowded planet - but didn't Al Gore get it wrong? Isn't there some hope for humanity?  I wonder what Dr Marshak would make of Al Gore?
I don't think I agree with the columnist who said the neo-Nazi group shouldn't have been given any publicity. Someone, somewhere will give them publicity because it makes a "news" story. Groups like that are not going to criticise themselves, nor are their sympathisers. Others need to be given a genuine opportunity to do it.
It's the sort of publicity they are given which matters. It needs to be considered and thoughtful, critical and questioning.



 

No comments: