Wednesday 2 January 2019

The isolation of the elderly

is only set to increase.
I am sorry but the piece in this morning's paper bewailing that fact and the "concern" that at least 40% of older women live alone comes as no surprise to me. It is something I have been thinking about lately because I know that, when the Senior Cat leaves us, I will be living somewhere on my own.
It won't be in this house. I'll have to move. That means new neighbours at the very least, people I won't know.
If they are working people I will probably never get to know them. Even if I do they are people I might be "friendly" with but they won't be friends.
I am already rather isolated, simply because of the Senior Cat. He's even more isolated because he can't get out and about easily. Ever since our doctor told him he must not ride his gopher/scooter he would have been totally isolated if it wasn't for friends who occasionally take him simewhere. 
The Senior Cat used to be involved in an organic gardening club, a phonograph society, an electronic organ club, Neighbourhood Watch, two magic clubs, and a woodwork group. At one time he was President of every one of those groups except the magic club - and he was heavily involved in that because he made apparatus for other magicians.  On top of all that he tutored struggling students and taught them study skills. He taught conjuring and woodwork too. He also volunteered as the handyman at the women's shelter - and, at the funeral I attended two days ago, people who had also worked there told me how he had been a role model of how men should behave to women who had sometimes known nothing but abuse in their lives. He has made use of his retirement and I know only a few men like him.
Now he goes to church on Sundays because someone who lives a couple of streets away picks him up and takes him. Once a month he goes to a short concert for "seniors".  He doesn't really do anything else outside his home even though he still has a very inquiring mind. 
One problem is that he tires very quickly now. Another is that his hearing is no longer that good. He can hear most people one-on-one but finds more than two or three very difficult. And he isn't mobile. He uses a walker. He finds it difficult to stand and is afraid of falling. 
And there are thousands and thousands of others like him in this state alone. People are living longer but what sort of quality of life do they really have?
It will, in many ways, be worse for the next generation and those that follow them.  Much of it has to do with many more women staying in the workforce. There is no longer time to volunteer in service organisations or join clubs where there is a common interest. There is no time to develop the skills that hobbies can demand. Yes, some people play sport but they are in the minority. 
We no longer live in small villages where "everyone knows everyone", where even women who worked had social contacts.
I have learned to be content with my own company but that does not mean I wish to be isolated. I know I need to go on learning new skills and mixing with other people. Other people need that too.
It is time to start thinking how to achieve it. 

2 comments:

helen devries said...

My husband's declining health means that I no longer have the time to keep up with outside interests and groups - thus losing the chance to build the networks I would value should he die before me.

Jodiebodie said...

Perhaps if Centrelink didn't have such onerous requirements for women with family responsibilities to also be applying for x no. of jobs (that don't even exist) and attending repeated seminars on "how to write a resume" or mindless 'busy work activities' to meet some tickbox quota, they might have time and energy again to support all of the good community causes out there such as helping in schools and churches and facilitating social activities to prevent the social isolation you discuss.

The type of social isolation you describe here is not limited to older people. Younger people who are frail, ill or with disabilities also experience the same.

I'm sad that you will need to move when you are on your own. It is a shame that situation often forces the loss of the social supports of neighbours and local community just when it is needed the most.