Thursday 31 January 2019

My Health Record?

Today is the last day to opt out of the My Health Record. For those of you in Upover and elsewhere this is an electronic health record which is supposed to be instantly available to any hospital or doctor in the country if needed.
It sounds like a good idea. I opted out.
Why?
I have nothing to hide. I have never had an abortion, never sought help for a STD, or spent time in a psychiatric ward or institution, or been in a sword fight requiring surgery and a subsequent spell in prison for harming someone else.
On those grounds I was even thinking of staying in - until I was made aware that even the medical clinic I attend does not have an accurate record of my health.
The last occasion but one on which I attended the clinic something came up and our GP looked at me and said, "I didn't know you had even had knee surgery."
Now admittedly she took over from someone else (now retired) and you might have to see whichever doctor is free if your own is busy but....
It means that she has never read - probably because she has never had time - the health records of her patients. 
     "It should be there in the records I told her."
     "When did you have it?"
 I told her and she sighed, "That would be on the old paper records."
No, she certainly hasn't read the old paper records. Goodness' only knows what those responsible for transferring the old data to the computer put on the new records. 
So I wonder how accurate the records of those who have opted to stay in are going to be anyway.
Instead my GP suggested we set up a "GPMP" (GP management plan). She will have a copy. I will have a copy. There should be an up to date record of any medication and any problems. I carry an ambulance service folder with me and that has an up to date record of my medication should I be unconscious. I can add to that if I need to do so.
It means my doctor can go on freely adding such comments as "this cat is stubborn" to my health record.
That might be a good thing. 

1 comment:

Holly said...

and for the same reason I opted out of "synching" all my records. I get my care in through one system. I don't use other locations. I don't need anyone somewhere else have access to my records.

I don't carry anything with me. Not a bad thought.

But the EMR at your GP should have a problem list. That list should have all your old surgeries on it. Someone was lazy when the records were digitized....