Sunday 8 December 2019

Christmas letters

- did I hear a groan?
I haven't finished writing mine yet - and I should have had them posted on Friday.
I normally do better than this because there are friends who look forward to the annual letter from Downunder - even if there is no news of particular consequence from the Cat Clan Outpost. It is not kind of me to make the humans in Upover and elsewhere wait.
But it has just taken me nearly two hours to do enough watering to (I sincerely hope) keep the garden at least alive on a day which is forecast to be 36'C. Part of that time was blogging time and part of it was letter writing time. 
I know people like Christmas letters. It is, I suppose, easy enough to write on a card, put it in an envelope, put a stamp on it, put it in the letter box - and then leave the rest of it up to the mysteries of the postal service. (As a mere cat I do not understand how the postal service work. All I know is that it is inconsistent.) 
Writing a Christmas letter is another thing altogether. The Senior Cat's friend G...produces four pages - complete with photographs. 
I might manage a page - but no photographs. I have no way of taking a photograph. The camera we once had refuses to take a picture any more.  I am not technically minded. I will write a couple of pages and leave it at that.
It also means that I cannot take a photograph of "the hat". I put "the hat" in the "100gms or less" challenge for the knitting guild's Christmas party yesterday. I thought I should put something in but, on seeing what was there, I did not expect to win a prize. There were some "Christmas puddings"and a green sparkly tree, a baby cardigan, a couple of crochet animals (I liked the cat!), and a proper Fair Isle beret among other things. I gave my two voting beads to someone else so I wouldn't be tempted to give myself one lonely bead for at least one thing. (I put in a very hippy belt with flowers as well.) "The hat" won a prize. I will endeavour to get a photograph at some point. I can still improve on the technique of stiffening it. (I did it with a mixture of PVA glue and water but I had to brush it on. It needs to be sprayed on.) Now that the event is over I might also risk spraying "the hat" with clear acrylic to make it a little stiffer and waterproof - or perhaps perspiration proof as is is a summer hat. I needs thought.
The Christmas letter needs thought too...I had better finish it.
 

No comments: