Sunday 22 December 2019

Fire updates

are being monitored in this house for two reasons.
One is that I help to keep several people who need communication assistance in emergencies informed. I also need to be available as their communication assistant should they need it.  It was needed when the big fire started in the hills behind us. I... was home alone and frightened as he could see flames. His brother, down in the city, was unaware of how bad the situation was and could not be contacted immediately. I... sent me a message and I made a call. But, small communities being what they are, someone was already on the way to him "just in case".  It was just as well. They have lost an outbuilding and the fire came too close to the house for comfort.  As I...'s brother told me yesterday, "It's been unbelievably horrendous but our community is fantastic with I...."
That's a good thing.
And then my brother called yesterday. He knows I have been keeping an eye on their fire updates. They were safe as long as the fire did not come over the hill...and now it is over the hill. When he contacted us the massive fire front was about five kilometres from their home. They were, sensibly, getting out.  They were actually in their car driving into the city where they can stay with my niece. Her husband has recently finished building their new home and it includes a "granny flat" intended for use by his mother in the coming years. It means my brother and his partner will have their own space until it is safe to return...if they can return. 
They may be lucky. My brother, very aware of fire danger, had put everything in place that he could. Major fires like that are also completely unpredictable. They can burn almost an entire street - and leave one house untouched.
All we can do is wait - and think of those who have lost everything.

2 comments:

Susan Ramsaran said...

Horrified at all that you and your compatriots are going through. We can only keep praying for you -- which we do. Best wishes from Susan in Northumberland.

Southern Gal said...

Omg. Prayers for your brother and his partner. I am surrounded by boxes as I moved mid November and the thought of losing everything is heart stopping. I have been following all the news of the fires. Its unbelievable. I listen to bbc news so I hear about it. The us news is barely covering it. Prayers for all of you