Wednesday 18 March 2020

Good neighbours

are worth more than their weight in gold.
I was wondering how to get the watering done and pedal off to get some milk before it got too hot. I also didn't really want to leave the Senior Cat as he was looking even less sure on his rear paws than usual.
I was rushing through the watering and waiting for the Senior Cat to have his breakfast when M... from across the road came over and said, 
      "Is there anything you need? I am taking Mum to the supermarket ." 
M.... is the one whose partner is currently in NZ and his mother is looking after  the two small boys.
So M.... got the milk I needed. His mother, who is every bit as nice as he is, brought it over a bit later. I put it in the fridge, thanked her and breathed a sigh of relief.  She didn't know what it cost but I will pay M.... some time today.
It was not a huge thing in itself but it was a good thing. It made my life just that little bit easier yesterday.
I admit I am worried about the Senior Cat. He has slowed down noticeably in the past few weeks. We cancelled his dental appointment. Even without Covid19 getting him there is a major undertaking for Middle Cat. It involves Access Cabs and wheelchairs these days and it was only a "check up". 
I am keeping my dental appointment today but, unless it is very urgent, I may need to tell the dentist that it isn't wise for me to be travelling into the city on the train. 
Admittedly the appointment time means I can catch a train that won't be crowded but it is still something I would prefer not to do. Looking after the Senior Cat now means all such things need to be considered and weighed up. He will be on his own for a little over three hours and that is more than long enough for him to be on the floor if he falls and cannot use his emergency pendant - worse still if he injures himself. 
Middle Cat is out of quarantine tomorrow - not for Covid19 but for a different infection. She will be able to call in on him on Friday - and give him a hair cut. 
Middle Cat phoned us yesterday and told me some appalling news. Her nephew-in-law J..., who is a really lovely and caring young man, went to pick his girlfriend up - a girl we all liked - and found she had hung herself.  There were absolutely no warning signs. He is, rightly, distraught. The police and the ambulance service were apparently outstanding but it really doesn't help much. J... is wondering why he didn't recognise something was wrong. I feel so much for him. We needed to know. I want to give J.... a wordless hug but we won't even see him right now.
So, little things like M... asking if I wanted anything mean a lot. And I saw a former neighbour on Monday. They only moved a very short distance away. She told me, and it was sincere, "If you need something let me know. I can do it while I am out and drop it over."
I thought of the almost bare supermarket shelves and wondered if there was anything left to buy that I actually need.
What matters though in all of this is that we have and have had some wonderful neighbours who will help if we need help. I hope I can do the same in return.
It matters more than ever right now.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Yes! We have lovely neighbours here who I know would always help if help were needed, the kind of people you feel comfortable calling on if needs must. Since we are in isolation at the moment and don't drive, we are certainly grateful to have them around.