Thursday 12 March 2020

There is still no toilet paper

on the supermarket shelves. Strictly that means that by the time I prowled in it had all gone again.
One of the women who works in our local supermarket told me, 
"You wouldn't believe it Cat but someone came in first thing this morning and wanted to buy two packs of forty-eight. What are they going to do with ninety-six rolls of loo paper?"
What indeed?
I have been watching people in the supermarket recently. There was the woman ahead of me the other day. She had her husband with her. They were both pushing trolleys. She had a list. They were buying tinned goods, pasta, rice and more. They were buying enough to feed a platoon. They were buying it "just in case" they needed to go into self-isolation. There are just the two of them in the house.
Now I have bought rice in the past ten days. We happened to have run out. Most people don't bother with the type the Senior Cat and I like. I could have bought two packets. I had the money but I thought someone else might need the second pack that was on the shelf.
I wonder where people are storing all these things? 
Yes, like everyone else I know I have a small stockpile of tinned goods. I use them chiefly to provide something for the Senior Cat to put into the basket at church on Sundays. I don't need two dozen tins of baked beans or a dozen packets of pasta. I have nowhere to put them.
We could, if necessary, survive in this house for two weeks. We would not eat in the way we usually do but we would eat. 
All this bothers me because I know there are places where people wonder whether there will be a next meal at all, let alone what might be for the next meal.
I am planning ahead - because I always do. It is always possible that I might need to be able to just reach into the freezer and pull out a meal for the two of us. It will  be because something else has happened and I have not had the time to prepare something. To me that is just common sense. It isn't planning for a disaster. 
We need to be sensible, not panic stricken. I am not intending to go to a football match or a rock concert and I will avoid other crowds where I can.
It seems to me we are making problems where there should be none.

1 comment:

jeanfromcornwall said...

I am stockpiling - but in the sense that I'm replacing stuff that has been used, but that is the way I have always run the household. For many years we lived in a place where the shops were far away, and we had to be able to get it all in a weekly expedition, and bear in mind that, at certain seasons, we might be snowed in or otherwise prevented from getting out.
Therefore I feel no need to panic.
If there isn't the food, these people will not be needing the toilet paper, in theory. Why is that the stuff that disappears from the shops? Don't these people have newspapers? OH was a country boy and learned that a Dock leaf was very acceptable, if caught out away from home. More comfortable than the loo paper available then, too!