Monday 12 April 2021

The Prime Minister is not responsible

for everything that goes wrong. Our Prime Minister is not responsible here, the United Kingdom Prime Minister is not responsible there, the Canadian Prime Minister is not responsible there. I could go on listing other countries but I hope I have made the point.

Our Prime Minister is currently being heavily criticised over the delays people are experiencing in trying to get Covid19 vaccinations. I haven't even been able to find out when I might get the first of the two jabs.

Yes, I would like to get the jabs but the Senior Cat has not had his yet. He is a tier above me in the queue. The staff who work to care for him are ahead of me in the queue too. There have been problems for which no Prime Minister can be held responsible.

Our government first ordered vaccine doses from abroad. It was done before anyone realised just how serious the situation was going to become, how far the virus was going to spread and what the consequences were going to be on a global scale. Yes there were contracts in place. If the contracts had been fulfilled there would have been enough doses for everyone who needed it and wanted it. That hasn't happened because of a situation outside the control of the Prime Minister, the government, and the health services.

When it became clear that the necessary doses were not likely to be available the government did move. They moved rapidly. We are now producing doses of the Astra-Zeneca vaccine in this country. To do that so quickly is extraordinary. Producing doses of a vaccine is not like making pies in a commercial bakery. It is a much more complex process than that. It has to be rigorously controlled too. 

And then there have been problems with the Astra-Zenaca vaccine. The people who developed cannot be held responsible for not knowing about the blood-clotting problem. That a vaccine was developed at all in such a short space of time is nothing short of remarkable. The instances of blood clotting issues are very rare and I am sure those responsible for developing the vaccine are distressed at the harm that it has caused some. It seems that there may be some problems with other vaccines too. Is our Prime Minister really responsible for these?

The anti-vaccination crowd is using the problems too, using them to try and stir up vaccine hesitancy. That's not helping either.

Quite frankly I am fed up. I'd like to get the jabs. I'd like life to get back to as "normal" as possible - better than that if we can. I think life will always be different from now on but it doesn't mean that life cannot be enjoyed in many ways. I will carry a vaccine passport along with my regular passport if I need to. That doesn't bother me. I am not going to go anywhere I shouldn't go or that isn't said to be as safe as possible. I am not going to blame the Prime Minister for a virus that came from somewhere else and which others have spread. I am not going to blame the Prime Minister for not being able to be absolutely precise about a very complex situation. 

Could we please just get some cooperation on the issue so that those who need the vaccination most get it first? 

No comments: