Thursday 27 January 2022

A little bias in the news

occurred yesterday. It showed just how quickly something less than full possession of the facts can be turned into a media story.

It was our national holiday yesterday. It might have passed me by altogether. I didn't even manage to watch the usual news service last night but I did look at my Twitter feed. The words "Governor-General" were appearing frequently. I was being told he was "MIA". Really? I was also being told that the Prime Minister was usurping the role of the Governor-General in all sorts of ways. Really?

It sounded a bit odd to me because I could remember reading something....I prowled off to look. Was I right? Yes.

The Governor-General was, according to an article from a reputable source, diagnosed with Covid on 9 January - a little over two weeks ago. He's doing the right thing. He's isolating. He isn't "missing in action" at all. He's on sick leave.

That also means the Prime Minister was not usurping the role of the Governor-General at all. He was standing in for him, representing him, substituting, holding the fort... call it what you will. The PM was doing exactly what he is expected to do in those circumstances.

He was doing exactly what he is expected to do - and being criticised for it. Nobody mentioned the G-G was ill. If they had done that then there could be no criticism.

A little bias in the news, a little careful "ignorance" of the facts, can go a long way to getting across the message you want to get across. All too often accuracy is the first casualty of the news.

No comments: