Thursday 13 January 2022

Conspiracy theories intrigue me

but I still find it impossible to believe that President Kennedy and Elvis Presley are cryogenically frozen and laid next to one another in some sort of bunker in the Nevada desert or that Princess Diana was murdered.

Yes, there was some sort of conspiracy surrounding the 9/11 attacks - but that was between bin Laden and those who perpetrated the attacks. It had nothing to do with the CIA, the Pentagon or any other US government agency.  The sort of conspiring which took place was directly related to what actually took place and can be shown to have happened. There was no deep dark secret involved, especially not one trying to bring down a government.

When sensitive material is "leaked" there is almost always an explanation. Someone was careless, someone was angry, someone wants to do harm. There are often occasions when the person leaking the material will claim that it was "in the public interest".... think Julian Assange. There is rarely a "conspiracy" issue involved. 

I am not suggesting conspiracies should be dismissed out of hand. I know all too well that rumours can be begun with the intention of doing harm. It is all too easy for someone to deliberately say something knowing it is not true but that it will be repeated and then repeated again and again. All too soon it becomes a "fact". It is even harder to squash something if there is an element of truth in it. 

It was with that in mind that I decided to actually read something which was sent to me yesterday...the entire transcript of the original interview between a Border Force (immigration) official and a certain tennis player.  I was asked for my opinion. The person who asked me simply wanted to know if I thought the tennis player was telling the truth during the interview.

I didn't have the benefit of seeing the demeanor of the questioner or the questioned. That can tell most people a great deal. I am also aware that the tennis player was at a disadvantage in that the interview was being conducted in his second language. (He did decline the need for any assistance with English.) 

Taking that into account I was left with the impression that either he was very confused or he is lying or the people he holds responsible are incompetent. There may be elements of all these involved. Is that grounds for some sort of conspiracy?

No comments: