Sunday 2 April 2023

Daylight saving has ended

at last. The mornings have been getting darker and darker. They will of course be almost dark even now.

There is something wrong with daylight saving at this latitude. All sorts of excuses were made for it but I wonder whether any of them were really as good as they kept telling us.

There was the "well now the volunteer firefighters can train in daylight" one that really interested me. Apparently there are no fires at night. Really? The crew I knew then trained in the early evenings and at weekends - plenty of daylight even without daylight saving.

No the reality is that daylight saving is there for sport and a few cultural events during the Festival. Sport of course takes priority over every other form of entertainment. The Senior Cat's cousin phoned me yesterday...to "remind (me) that the footy is on Channel 7 tonight". He knows full well that I am not in the least bit interested.  And yes, they do play football at night under lights because the most important (in their eyes) games are played during winter. 

For a short time however I will make the most of the fact that I can uncurl from my sleeping mat, stretch, yawn and start the day in something close to daylight. It won't feel quite so much like the middle of the night if someone wants to talk to me at six in the morning. 

I wonder if daylight saving makes people more aware of the seasons? Here the changes are less noticeable and less dramatic than they are in some parts of the world. We do get some autumnal colours in the trees but there are plenty of others which do not change in any particularly noticeable way. Some gardens barely change - particularly those which have gone "native". I don't much care for "native". It isn't right for the urban environment. It looks dry and dusty in the summer. We need some green in our lives.

I have thought of all these things this morning because I need to find some green wool. We don't see colour the same way here as people do somewhere like England. Our hot and dry climate produces hot and dry colours. I don't find them very attractive but the softer and cooler colours of the English climate would also look wrong here. I know the green wool would be wrong for this climate, wrong if I made an entire garment of it. It will be fine to pass on to a friend who needs to mend a sock. She was the one who said, "The socks look wrong here but they are so nice and warm." 

I might help her make red socks this year.  

No comments: