at the "request" of entitled parents who have failed to make their little darlings understand that actions have consequences? I suppose it can be said that filming the little darlings and putting the result up on your political party's FB page also has consequences.
I mentioned the "protest" a little while ago. The action has escalated. I suspect the parents are still intending to take the member of parliament in question to court. It will be interesting to see how far it goes.
I have no time for the MP in question and I will never be voting for him but did he have the right to do it? That is the question which has to be asked.
It will be for others to answer it but there are some interesting ideas here. When is it permitted to film others who are publicly protesting? What is the point of protesting if you are not there to be seen and heard? When does it become an "invasion of privacy"? Are some forms of protest able to be filmed and not others? Is where a protest taking place a political act (in this case the steps of the state parliament) or something more private? Does the age of the protestors (or just some of the protestors) mean they cannot be filmed?
They are just a few of the many questions which immediately come to mind. Opinions on all this seem to vary widely.
Footage of the protests held on the same day right around the country was shown on television. It is still widely available on the internet because it was "reposted" over and over again. The MP who has been barred from FB is by no means the only person who filmed what was going on. There were others, including the protestors themselves, who filmed what was happening. The protestors have shared the footage. I have been shown some by students who attended the protest and by others to whom it was sent. Apparently it is reasonable to film each other and pass it around but when the MP whose party they were opposing films it and posts it then it becomes an offence which is labelled abhorrent. He is accused of paedophilia because some of them are "minors" and he "caught" them "kissing in public".
All this of course is about denigrating the political party in question. Those protesting will consider it even more urgent now that the same party has apparently just won a resounding win in a by-election.
Will all this go further? Quite likely it will but I wonder if those who protested and their parents have considered it might not have quite the effect they were hoping for?
I hope I am wrong because the possible consequences alarm me.
I found this below in my time line this morning. It seems relevant right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment