Sunday 19 January 2014

There is an acronym much beloved

by knitters and quilters and, no doubt, other craftspeople. It is SABLE. For those of you who are unaware of this most important of acronyms it means Stash Advancement Beyond Life Expectancy - or the accumulation of more supplies than you are likely to be able to use.
I suffer from it knitting wise but it is not entirely my fault. People keep giving me knitting supplies. There is my good friend Holly for instance. She arrived for the day last November and brought a bag of yarn and other goodies with her. Yes, she is a very good friend. There was, among other lovely things, a ball of silky smooth lace weight alpaca which I am currently knitting into a hap. (A hap is a shawl of particular design from the Shetlands.) Other things were pushed further down the list to accommodate that.
Then there are the elderly people who go into nursing homes who say things like, "Cat, I am sure you can use this." They pass over another bag of yarn. I thank them, take it home and sort it. I pass the cheap acrylic yarn on to the charity shop for knitting into dog and cat blankets for the refuge. I pass more of it on to other people who can use it for hats for the homeless.
The five teens who have been knitting together since they met at the hospital years get some of the yarn. My late friend Margaret, who taught each of them how to knit, would be proud of their progress and the amount they have raised for charity.
I keep some on the "that might be useful for...". I always have something specific in mind at the time but I know it won't always get done.
I sell some and put the money into a bank account for a friend who runs a centre for unaccompanied children in Africa.
Oh yes, it is all used one way or another.
The Senior Cat is still, at the age of 91, accumulating timber much in the way I collect yarn. He has, unless someone finds the secret to  greatly increased productive life expectancy, not going to use it all either. My brother will inherit what is left. I hope he sorts it and keeps the really valuable timber and passes the other on to people who do things like make toys for charity. And yes, the Senior Cat knows some other woodworkers in a similar position.
But I have decided that all of this, important though it is, pales into insignificance when compared with the other acronym of even greater importance in our house. All you need to do is change one letter of the previous acronym and you have it.
Can anyone guess?
I'll tell you tomorrow but do try.

No comments: