Friday 15 August 2014

The former owner of our local indie bookshop

came to see me yesterday.
She has been here before and always expresses surprise at how many books we have. I think the Senior Cat kept her business alive for some years.
While I was considering the problem she presented me with she prowled the shelves.
"I remember you buying this...and this...and here's another one," she said.
I nodded and did some mental arithmetic on her knitting problem.
She prowled further.
I was just about to open my mouth when she said,
"Cat! You have THREE layers here! I thought there were only two."
She looked at me accusingly.
"That whole bookshelf is triple stacked," I told her, "Some of the other shelves are as well."
"Has anyone ever told you that you have too many books?" she asked.
"Frequently."
"And how many of them have you read?"
"Well I have consulted all the non-fiction and still do. There are about fifteen novels I haven't read yet. I gave away a few recently that I decided I was not going to read or finish reading."
She looked at me.
I smiled and got my own back,
"Has anyone ever told you that you have too much wool?"

No comments: