Friday 1 January 2016

This New Year's Eve thing and the

New Year's resolutions thing - I don't get it. I really don't get it. 
I was discussing this before Christmas with my friend R... I told her that all I want to do on New Year's Eve is put my head under the pillow and my paws over my ears and ignore the noise. I am not a noisy party cat.
Now I must confess we were lucky here. There were no wild parties in the immediate vicinity. There have been in the past. The year the house on the corner was occupied by tenants rather than the owners there was a tremendous racket. It was so bad that the immediate neighbours feared for their own property and called the police. The police did come eventually but nobody had any sleep that night.
There were neighbours at the back when we first moved here. They had a small outdoor pool near their back fence. They would hold pool parties and New Year's Eve was always the occasion for one. They would set up their sound system so that everyone in the surrounding houses was entertained by 50's and 60's pop music until around 3am. Polite requests to turn the music down just caused it to be turned up even louder. Complaints got nowhere. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief when they moved - but I still feel sorry for  their new neighbours. 
I really don't understand such parties - or why they have to occur on one particular night. I know I should like standing there holding paws and singing "Auld Lang Syne" at midnight. Perhaps it is because, unlike some of the humans around me,  I don't get even a little tipsy? 
I haven't made any New Year's resolutions either. They are disappointing sort of things. Somehow they never keep me on the straight and narrow. I veer off and do other things. I was going to finish writing a book last year. I wrote an entirely different one instead. Does that count? No, of course not. I need to get back to the other one instead. There is no point in writing either of them but that is - well, beside the point. 
I didn't lose weight. I didn't do any more exercise than usual. I didn't... I didn't do anything! No, wait a moment. I must have done something. I was busy all the time. 
And the Senior Cat is still with us and still doing things. If he makes it to February 5th he will be 93. That is old and I know it and I treasure each day with him now. Middle Cat is still here too - against all expectations at one point. I met the smallest kitten for the first time - and found her an utter delight. All those things matter.
But those parties, those resolutions?  I ignored the first. As for the second...I think I will make a resolution not to make any other resolutions. 
Happy New Year everyone - and, to my fellow writers in particular, may it be filled with good words.

 
 

2 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

Happy New Year to you and yours. Like you, I don't really get the point - it is just one new day and one minute to the next. So no big difference there. Just glad I am still here to grouch about it!

catdownunder said...

Happy New Year Jean! Senior Cat says he is glad to be here to grouch about it too!