Friday 25 August 2017

More creativity!

There is a class in the crochet section which says "creative crochet". It is there to encourage people to "do things". The judge is not looking for the "ordinary", more the "extraordinary".
And there was the "rainbow serpent" rug. The maker had designed it himself or herself. It was done in very heavy yarn and must have been very difficult indeed to make. 
And there was the "princess" dress - with the crochet top and the butterfly at the back, something which ingeniously concealed the opening. It had crochet flowers all over the skirt too. Not my thing in the least but a little girl who likes pink, pretty, flowery, dress up things would undoubtedly love it.
And there were the amigurumi - both knit and crochet. There was a  tiny green chameleon knitted in very fine yarn. He - it has to be a he - was chatting away to a pair of cats when the judge reached him.   Over the other side in the crochet there were a pair of  inscrutable Japanese dolls about 5cms high. They won "best in show" and truly deserved it. 
But they were apparently nearly beaten to the best in show prize by a lovely scarf of broomstick crochet. 
And there were fun things too - a teapot cosy in the shape of a fish that was obviously intended to be Nemo had everyone smiling. He had a cousin in the recycled section - made out of discarded plastic. That must have been extraordinarily difficult to knit.
Yes, the knitting and crochet sections are getting more creative and interesting every year. I
It's a very interesting exercise to be involved in. Thank you people who put things in. I just wish more people would. 

5 comments:

Gene said...

Cat, these all sound so interesting. Is there anyway to see photos?
Genie

catdownunder said...

Oh I wish I could but, even if I had a camera, you aren't allowed to take photographs without the owner's permission.

Anonymous said...

That's a shame about photos. Whyever not if they are on display in a public place? I can't see the problem...

catdownunder said...

There are issues with copyright - some of the items are designed as well as made by the entrants and their permission has to be sought. Hope that answers the question.

Jodiebodie said...

Hi Cat,

Will you be there during the week at all? I'm looking forward to visiting the show in coming days so I will keep my eyes open for you.

I am eager to see the projects you described - I love to see crochet done in all sorts of ways and these projects sound like a lot of fun.

Your sentence about the broomstick scarf sounds a bit exciting. Could it be the same scarf I know? Surely there is more than one. I am yet to discover the results of my entries or even if they are on display (sometimes there is no room to display everything entered). The fun bit has been the anticipation - a bit like waiting for a raffle draw.

Anyone who can create amigurumi in fine thread has my vote as a deserving winner. Thank you for the behind-the-scenes perspective.

I hope to see you soon! Cheers!