Thursday 7 September 2017

Intruding on grief or

argument or anything else which should remain private should not be done.
I was hoping to get a photograph taken yesterday. I need a photograph of the item  I am going to teach people to make next summer and I need it fairly quickly. Our neighbour across the road told me to "bring it over when it's finished and I'll do it".  She would too - but not yesterday. 
I noticed they had been out and thought to myself, "Maybe I can go over after lunch and ask."
But their car didn't go back into the garage. That was a bit odd. Even if they are going out again they usually put the car under cover.
And then, going to get the advertising leaflets which had blown across the lawn, I noticed that  there was a large "ding" in the right hand side at the front. Someone has obviously hit the car. 
It was equally obvious that the car was able to be driven but the damage is nevertheless obvious. 
The last thing they needed was me there asking for a photograph to be taken when the driver would have been feeling shaken and they would both have been upset. I left it. I may ask Middle Cat to help instead.
And it made me think of the headlines in yesterday's paper. There was a story about some boys from a fee paying school who have done something very, very stupid. It is something which, if they have any sense at all, they will regret for the rest of their lives. Two of them will be facing court as a result of their stupidity.  They are at the end of their schooling. Weeks out from their final exams they have been expelled and others have been suspended.
And the media intruded on all this. "They deserve it," someone told me yesterday, "They're just over-privileged rich kids. Most of them are like that."
I happen to know that this is far from true but the media has intruded because it makes a good news story. There has been no thought at all for the vast majority of decent, well mannered, hard working students at the school. Nothing was mentioned in the media when some of them went to help  in another serious situation. Those I know who knew about that just shrugged and said, "Well, so they should."
We all make mistakes. We all make errors of judgment. We all do the wrong thing sometimes. We all intrude when we are not aware or when we shouldn't.
I wonder though whether we need to learn not to take action sometimes - or, at very least, delay it?
 

No comments: