Sunday 14 October 2018

Poppy wreaths are

made from many things and by many people. 
But you need red. 
I had a 500gm ball of red wool. Yes, it was a very large ball of yarn. I had intended to use it for another purpose. Then I had one of those "middle of the night" ideas that had to be acted upon.
I belong to a knitting guild. It meets in a hall belonging to the Returned and Services League or what is commonly called "the RSL". Some guild members have made poppies and they have gone off to the War Memorial in the nation's capital and to other places. I made some for that. I made more for the local library because they put up an acknowledgment each year and needed new poppies. Last year I made each member of the guild a bookmark with a poppy to mark another anniversary.
Make more poppies? I've made more than I care to think about. I really didn't want to make any more. I wanted to get on with other things.
But, the idea niggled. It kept me awake. In the morning I mentioned it to the Senior Cat. He wasn't a lot of help but agreed that it "might be a nice gesture".  I went off to visit the local greengrocer's floristry people. If they had what I knew we would need and were prepared to sell me one then I would do something about it.
I stood there and explained what we wanted to do. It meant not buying any flowers but the base I knew they must use to make a wreath.
Wreaths are not common now and I knew they might not even have one but  yes, they had one. I bought it thinking to myself, "If the others aren't interested then I'll do it myself because I think we should."
I took the wreath base home thinking about strategies - and phoned one of the oldest and most able members of the guild. She was once the President. She used to run a school and she has not lost the capacity for "getting things done". I told her what I thought we should do and what I had already done. Yes, she thought it was a good idea and she would get up and talk about it. 
I added the wreath base and the yarn and some floristry wire to the things I was taking and hoped that some people might be interested.
E...stood up and said things. Some hands went up. Yarn was handed out.  W...., a trained florist, said she would put it together if people made the poppies.
So, I've made another 21 poppies. I ran out of yarn at that point and mentioned the project to someone I know who knits. Did she happen to have any red yarn she didn't need? This morning there was some in the letter box so I can do some more. I will because I don't know how many people will actually make poppies. W...left a message to say she has made 12 and will make some more now that she is back from a short trip away. J.... told me she had made some. I think we can do it because some people will think it is something they can do and want to do.
And I would like to  be able to see it finished and then just left quietly at the appropriate place by the railing in the little chapel area. That way those who use the hall for its primary purpose can know we are aware not just of their service but those who served before them. 
We wouldn't be here now if it wasn't for them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Cat. It needed to be done.
I hope the others are aware that you have supplied the materials? R

Anonymous said...

Hi Cat
The other group I belong to created a wreath for Remembrance Day last year using crocheted, knitted and yo-yo poppies. We placed it at the War Memorial in our town last year at the Dawn Service. The town is having a big celebration/event this year and we are going to be very involved.
Lots of country towns in Down Under will be doing the same I am sure.

L