Saturday 9 May 2020

Coming out of lock down

or "self-isolation" is now under discussion here. There are cautious moves afoot to relax some restrictions.
 I am worried about this. There will be far too many people who think, "Things are back to normal. We don't need to worry."
Now is precisely when we should start to worry even more. We are heading into winter here in the Antipodes. It is the season of the common cold and strains of influenza. 
We might only have two active cases known to the medical profession but there will be people in the community who could unknowingly infect others. (The last active case has been an older man who had almost completed a period of quarantine. Five people around him are now isolated too.)
But some things might be moving towards a more "normal" state of affairs. Weddings can have a few more guests. Funerals may be attended by more people. There might be more al fresco dining - although who will be able to afford meals out when the unemployment rate has almost doubled. Not all the fifty-five thousand people in this state who lost their jobs will be going back to work.
I had to go to the library yesterday. It has been closed of course but we have been able to borrow books on a "click and collect" basis - go on loan and make the request using your library card. You then go to the library and wait outside while a staff member collects the book and processes the loan.  It has been a privilege to be able to do this. I have tried to use it very sparingly because I know the staff were in danger of being overwhelmed at times. They have also used the time wisely and achieved other things as well.
But, I needed a book so I put in the request knowing it was on the shelves. Things have quietened down considerably and by lunchtime there was a message to say I could pick the book up. I pedalled off after lunch. There was nobody monitoring the outside table but one of the staff gave me a wave. 
I waited. They would need my library card - or so I thought. No. Two minutes later B.... arrived with two books. One of them was a new knitting book. He didn't need my library card. He just did a reverse of my name.
   "We thought  you might like to look at this too - ready for when the knitting group can start again."
This is the thoughtful, "we know what you are likely to be interested in" sort of action that makes going to our local library such a pleasure. The library staff know that I look carefully at each new knitting and crochet book they acquire. I don't use the books myself but I can tell members of the group what is there and whether they might find it useful  
And in this case they know that I'll put the book in the return chute before they library opens again. Another reader can borrow it as soon as the doors open. Our Prime Minister thinks libraries are important. They have been included in phase one of the long, slow road back to something we might consider "normal".
Now what it will take is for people to be careful and sensible and not break the rules or try to bend the guidelines. The library, the central social hub or the community, can start breathing again. 
If we are careful other things might come back to life too.

No comments: