Monday 15 August 2022

Reading the "classics"

is not something everyone wants to do - nor should they be required to do so. 

Reading the classics of children's literature is often a matter of "must" rather than "want" because a book will be a "set" book in school.  Then there are the well meaning adults who still hand over "classics" as birthday and Christmas presents or school prizes. 

I can remember being given "Black Beauty". Now I know this is still a book loved by some young "hippomaniacs" and that they will still read the Pullein-Thompson sisters, Ruby Ferguson and like authors. I was never a fan of "horse stories" as we knew them in my kittenhood. I tried to read them because it was what so many others of my age were reading but I was not interested. I was not really interested in "ballet stories" either. Although I enjoyed Noel Streatfeild's books like Ballet Shoes I was not as interested in the ballet aspect as the way the three girls found a way of contributing to the family finances and how they were educated.  Even then though it all seemed a little strange I suppose. I knew it was not the way something would happen to any child of my age.  

It was this I thought of when someone mentioned that she was reading "Stig of the Dump" (Clive King) with her son - and finding it rather dull.  Stig of the Dump was considered to be something of a breakthrough book when I first read it.  It was one of those books that, a few years later, I ensured was in a school library. It is now considered to be a "classic" and still put on "set" books lists. At the time it probably was read by many children. It would have been read along with books like "The Borrowers" and then "Tom's Midnight Garden". 

They were all good books, perhaps outstanding books. The question though is, "Are they what is read now?" The answer to that  I think is that tastes have perhaps changed. Children know more about the world. Other things are being published. 

It is possible to see this looking down a list of Carnegie Medal winners. The more recent winners tend to be much darker. 

I try to read each one as it is announced but there have been some I have not enjoyed at all. I still feel that Kevin Brooks book "The Bunker Diary"  is not the sort of book I would encourage a young person to read. 

Over the years I have collected earlier children's literature - from the fifties, sixties and seventies of last century. I have made it available to local children who like to read. They can pick and choose as they please. I don't ask them to tell me what they think about the books they read although they sometimes tell me. The Whirlwind and her friends read a great many of them. The boys who live nearby read less but still read quite a number of them.  

The interesting thing is that, despite an outstandingly good library nearby which has an excellent children's section, all these children and now young people kept coming back to borrow more from me.

Yes,  I have worried about losing books I treasure but I also hear in my mind that young girl in the library as she looked up at me and said, 

    "I'm sick of AIDS and death and divorce. I just want a good adventure story."

Perhaps that is why some "classic" books are still being read?

"But Cat, you must have that one! I want to read it!" has been a wonderful thing to hear.  I have failed my young borrowers too often. 

But there are some wonderful books being written for them now...and I enjoy reading them. 

2 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Black Beauty is loved even by non-hippomaniacs like Helen Keller - and I remember reading her empathetic response to Ginger in the supplementary to her autobiography [put together by John Macy - who was an author too] which was explored and exposed by her teacher Anne Sullivan Macy. That was at the beginning of 1993.

My grandparents did think like you when it came to books that could be economically around from charity shops and, yes, from the library.

STIG OF THE DUMP was always a book I wanted to have a chance to read.

And Clive King really was a prolific author.

Or perhaps I am confusing him with Dick King-Smith.

I remember reading about two young ladies of a biographer who were "happy enough to read in this contemporary genre (Later on they would nickname it 'Oil Rigs and Rape) though the Chalets were the ones that they came back to in their teens".

Whirlwind and her friends had good taste.

There was a ballet series or two in the 1980s and 1990s - and also there was a Gymnastics series which I was moderately interested in - but it would have been far too quick for me to finish.

Streatfeild really does do a lot of this sort of thing - and I find myself coming around to the Margaret Thursday books - especially Far to Go. When I had a chance to read Margaret Thursday the original in a library pick, it was SO good. I really enjoyed Lavinia and Peter and Horatio - and some of the fellow orphans.

These "outstandingly good libraries nearby" with "excellent childrens' sections".

I STILL haven't read the Borrowers; even with the recent movie.

Even though, yes, it was in the library.

I do know who they are and what they did, though.

Right now going through H G Wells. The Penguin edition has so many Science Fiction and Literature blurbs because it is a modern [1991] Classic.

And there is a graphic novel of Brave New World by Huxley.

What are the adventurous books your neighbours are reading?

I recently got into WILLIAM through audio tape and JENNINGS too.

And also I am probably not that well-meaning adult - I gave my cousins THE BUM THAT WENT PSYCHO and HAVE COURAGE HAZEL GREEN by Andy Griffiths and Odo Hirsch.

Also the TASHI books have come into libraries.

Non-fiction is fabulous for all sorts of adventurous and adventuring texts.

And THE RAILWAY CHILDREN are coming back as a movie.

RAILWAY CHILDREN RETURNED.

[Edith Nesbit is so good in those visual formats which tend to be favoured by the streaming world - yes, FOUR CHILDREN AND IT - even though it was made by Sky Films].

Some of the classic books do have a squick to them at the beginning.

And it is easy to make the recommendations - if you enjoy John Marsden; you might love Patricia Wrightson or Nan Chauncy.

And if you love William Golding; you might enjoy Quatermaster[…]

catdownunder said...

You have good taste too!