Wednesday 23 November 2022

This "World Cup" thing

is already irritating me. 

Anyone who knows me well will know I don't do sport of any sort - apart from a (very) vague interest in the psychology of the game of cricket. I have never been to a football, rugby or soccer match in my life and I have no intentions of doing so. What little I have seen on television will suffice thank you very much.

However at the moment it is almost impossible to avoid hearing about this "World Cup" thing in Qatar. It seems this is "soccer" and there are lots of teams playing.  

It is also "mired in controversy".  Really? This puzzles me.

Any international event held in Qatar was always going to cause problems. Qatar is that sort of place. 

If you are actually a citizen of Qatar and prepared to abide by all the Islamic imposed rules, regulations and responsibilities then it is possibly quite a pleasant place to live. I rather doubt it though - the heat would get to me very quickly. 

If you are going to visit there then there are things you need to know, customs and laws you need to observe. You are a visitor. 

If you visit the house I presently live in and you smoke then you will be asked to smoke outside. It is the same at Brother Cat's place and at Middle Cat's place.  Years ago, when she first met her partner, Middle Cat put her paw down firmly and told one of her partner's male relatives that he could not smoke in her car. It caused an uproar but she stuck by her demand. Despite the uproar she was respected for it and other female members of the family (none of whom smoke) followed her example. Yes, you are a "visitor" in the car. Don't smoke if you are asked not to do so.

It is the same in Qatar. Alcohol consumption is not allowed in Islam - don't look for it or demand it at their sporting fixtures or elsewhere. Same sex relationships are forbidden in Qatar. It doesn't matter how important the rest of us might believe those relationships are it is not right to go "demanding" they be allowed there or even showing support for them. The matches being played are not about same sex relationships. They are about being able to kick a ball in certain ways into certain places. 

We might well want to complain about other human rights abuses but don't do it there. In a sense you have accepted an invitation. You are a visitor and you should behave politely and "eat what is put in front of you" as someone else said to me.

If you want to criticise then don't go there. Criticise from outside the country if you must. Your hosts will mostly be ordinary people who, from all accounts, are prepared to be friendly and accommodating. Make friends and talk to them - their English will likely be better than your Arabic. Stop trying to turn a game into politics. I might be more interested if it was simply something done for pleasure.

Oh I understand Downunder lost their game against France but I have to confess it doesn't upset me. Should it? 

No comments: