Sunday 28 January 2024

The aisles of the hardware store

were crowded yesterday. No, there wasn't a sale on. It was "Saturday busy in summer" according to the student at the checkout desk.

This hardware store is big, very big. The aisles go from one to twenty-something. I gave up counting. 

Actually I had done the sensible thing and "looked it up online" before I went. Yes, they had what I needed in the "tools" section in aisle twelve. 

Getting to aisle twelve was a journey in itself. Then I was face with a long row of "tools". These were "small tools". I went on. I mean how hard could it be to find what I wanted? At least I did not need to go past the "large tools" section...or look at the prices. 

Even the price of "small tools" seemed large to me. Perhaps it is all those different sizes? 

I prowled on slowly. It is possible I was getting in the way as I searched for what I needed. "Aisle twelve" the website said. That was all very well but where in aisle twelve? Ah, wait a moment. I do know a screwdriver when I see one...no they are the "bits" for the electric sort. No, they are not the right sort. I do know the difference between a straight and a Phillips head sort and those are much too large anyway. Hold everything! I found them! Eureka! 

I took the plastic encased packet off the shelf and examined it. Yes, this was what I needed and yes the price was what had been advertised on the website. Around me I was aware of the male half of the species examining other things. One of them moved out of the way with a surprised, "Got what you wanted then?"

"Yes," I told him with my best Cheshire like smile and disappeared to the check out - the one for "only tools". I paid for the packet. 

I was about to leave when it occurred to me that, as they also sell gardening items (and plants), I might as well get the other thing that had almost run out. Was it worth prowling another long aisle - if I could find the right one? It is quite a pedal to and from the place and I have better things to do with my time than go twice.  I went hunting. I was determined to do this without asking for help.  Aisle eighteen or nineteen - something like that - and along I went.

And at the point I had to ask for help. Oh yes, I found what I wanted. The trouble with being a short cat is that you do sometimes need to ask for help. I inquired of a tall gentleman passing.

"You seem to know what you want. I saw you in small tools," he said with the sort of smile that told me we were both thinking the same thing. We chatted as we waited in line at the next checkout (not "small tools" this time.) 

I didn't tell him the screwdriver set was not for me because I do know how to use a screwdriver. 

No comments: