Friday 3 May 2024

Why is a "proof of age" card

not considered to be the equivalent of a licence to drive? They are both identity documents which have a photograph. The former also requires a "100 points of ID". The latter does not.

Let me begin at the beginning? I went to the bank with Middle Cat yesterday. I had to transfer some money from my account into my BIL's account - at a different bank.  For that purpose my passport was sufficient ID.

Middle Cat and I then went on to the police station to get our affidavits dealt with - signatures by us witnessed by a rather nice police officer - thank you. Yes, he needed to see my passport because this is a Supreme Court (Civil) matter we are dealing with.

I was fine with both those things. The bank actually accepted my passport as 100 points of ID. The policeman accepted my passport as me being me.

But.....I came home to an email from the Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society. This year they have decided that everyone working there has to have a "Working with children check". It is something new. Because I am volunteering there the certificate won't cost me anything but the paperwork to get one is the reason I have, to date, avoided getting one. Whether I really need one at the showground is dubious. I work in an open area, surrounded by other adults. Children in that area are required to be under the control of their "responsible adult" at all times. I have occasionally spoken to a child but never to a child on their own. It is the same for all the volunteers in the area. The RAHS however has decided that this has to happen. I need to comply.

So there I am filling in pages of paper work to get the job done before I am overwhelmed with other things. I go through accessing the site, getting an application number and creating another password. I fill in all the usual details and answer the seemingly endless questions about where I have lived in the last five years (one place of residence) and whether I have ever been convicted of an offence (no). 

Then I get to the need for 100 points of ID. My passport is not enough. Now it is only worth 70 points. Mmm...what else can I use? A licence to drive is worth 40 points but I do not have a licence to drive. My "proof of age" card? It also has a photograph. It is issued by the same department. It requires a 100 points of ID to obtain one. No, it won't do. 

For some strange reason that card, which requires the same level of identification to obtain, is only worth 25 points. I am five points short. I need a third piece of acceptable ID. I look at the list of documents acceptable. Yes, I can do it. Of course I can do it but the ridiculous thing is that things like rates bills (in my name) are considered acceptable for a further 25 points. There is no photograph on a rates bill or a "Seniors Card" or any other document considered acceptable. 

Would someone please explain to this puzzled puss why a document with a photograph on it is worth less than a similar document with a photograph on it? Why is a document with my paw print on it worth the same as a bill without my paw print on it? It makes no sense to me.  

No comments: