Saturday, 19 September 2026

You can think whatever you like

as long as you do not say it...and as long as you agree with me. You cannot be "apolitical" and I do not care what your politics are...as long as you come out and say you agree with me.  You have to support "the cause". You must go along with the only point of view there is.

I am only vaguely aware of who this Ed Sheeran person is. I know that may sound ridiculous but I am not one to follow any sort of popular culture. I may have heard him perform but I am not aware of it. I will not pretend to understand what the current uproar is about. I have a vague idea that someone else appeared on a stage at some sort of event with this man and said two words which were, and still are, regarded as highly political. They are words which are, like it or not, taking sides.  

Apparently the issue has been muddied by Mr Sheeran because he has refused to take sides, refused to acknowledge the two words and repeat them. He is being told he can think what he likes but he cannot stay silent. He has to agree with the other bloke and with a slew of other "artists". There is apparently only one point of view which is correct, only one way of thinking in all this.

Think on that please. It is happening elsewhere as well. We keep being told that there is only one "correct" way to think about all sorts of issues. There are the obvious issues like "climate change" and "global warming", "transgender rights" and the use use of "puberty blockers", "abortion" and "euthanasia" and then "refugees" and "immigration".  They are big issues. They are also complex issues, far more complex than most people believe. 

Despite their complexity we are all too often told there is only one "right" or "correct" way to think about the issue. If we do not think the way we are told we should think then there is something wrong with us. We will lose friendships. In more extreme cases we can be taken to court, fined and even sent to prison for simply disagreeing. We become pariahs. People don't want to know us.

Apparently Mr Sheeran has been told it is not possible to remain "apolitical" about the matter in question. He must come out and support the view espoused by so many of his fellow entertainers. It does not matter that a concert tour may no longer go ahead. All that matters is that he supports the view of the person who used the stage at a concert to make a political statement.  That it may alienate others is of no consequence to those who are demanding this. 

Yes of course musicians and "rock stars" get political. Writers and artists get political too. They all hold a wide range of political views. That is how it should be. Most of them will want others to know their views. That is how it is going to happen. It is when they demand others hold the same views as themselves that it becomes unacceptable.  

I don't have to agree with you but I will defend your right to speak providing you do the same to me.  

 

No comments: