Saturday 9 September 2017

I was making poppies


yesterday.  One of the local library staff asked me if the knitting group at the library could make some for the display the library does each year. She has always made them from paper and then discarded them after the display. Would something more substantial last a little longer?
I said I would talk to the group about it but then I realised that I wouldn't actually be at the next meeting as I will be working at a craft fair. I emailed a couple of people. Yes, they would think about it too. We need to get the group Christmas tree finished as well. 
As I had finished a project that was on the "urgent because I am teaching" list I decided to take the poppy making materials down to the show grounds. I was doing a few hours down there so that the convenors in the art and craft area could go to a formal lunch. Middle Cat was also taking the Senior Cat for a few hours and I wanted to be on hand in case help was needed.
The poppies are bright red of course. They attract attention. I had hoped they might. People were interested. They are simple to make - three small rounds of crochet in this particular pattern. There are other patterns.
The War Memorial in Canberra also wants 60,000 - and other places (like the library) need them too. I have been told that, across the country, they will be looking for about 600,000 for various events and venues.  I made eight yesterday - in between sorting out queries and problems. I'll make a few more in odd moments. 
If you are interested this is a link to a site with a lot of information about them. Scroll down a bit and you will find a link to patterns - some simple, some not so simple.
If you can knit or crochet or sew and you live in Downunder - can you make a few?
Here's the link

https://5000poppies.wordpress.com/ 

1 comment:

Jodiebodie said...

Snap! I was thinking poppies on Saturday too!