Sunday 18 March 2018

The queue outside

outside the polling booth was longer than I had hoped it would be. I had intended to be early - and no, it was not "vote early, vote often" but "I need to get this done because there are a lot of other things to do today". 
Still, the queue moved reasonably quickly. The people on either side of me chatted to me and to each other. This sort of thing happens when you ride a tricycle. One of them wanted to know whether I thought she could ride a tricycle now that she no longer felt confident on her  bike. I offered to let her have a ride when we had both voted. She thought it might be a "bit public" so I suggested going around to the other side of the building. (We were voting at a school so there is a playground there.) Now that was a good idea. 
She tried a few minutes later, 
    "Oh it would be blissful." She put the name of the place I had bought mine from into her phone and went off.  My thought was that, if nothing else, I had done one useful thing that morning even though it made me even later.
I had put out two loads of washing very early. It was warm and windy and I hoped they would be dry before it rained. Yes!  I brought them in. I gave the Senior Cat the information he had asked me to collect and told him where to find the party he wanted to vote for in the Legislative Council (the upper house). We don't normally know how the other votes but this time he had asked being, rightly, confused by something.  He wrote it down and put it in his pocket. I must remember to remove it before I wash that shirt!
And then, after answering a long list of emails, I gave the Senior Cat lunch and a friend picked him up to go to the polling station. I pedalled off to an informal meeting.
I didn't really want to go but someone  had asked me if they could talk to me there. So, I made the effort. It was a wasted effort. She didn't want to talk to me after all. That was - shall I say "disappointing"? I wonder whether she realises how much difference there is between getting into a car and going about the same distance and pedalling there. Probably not. Be tolerant Cat!
I pedalled home via the supermarket. I wrote a long and complex letter that needed to be carefully worded - but will probably still be misunderstood. I sent it off as an email. I made two phone calls to
check on humans and be sure they had been well enough to go and vote. One had not been so I collected the voting card everyone was sent at this election and a signed declaration from her. Also armed with the medical certificate she had been given in case she was not well enough I took it back to the polling booth at her request. 
    "Tell her not to worry."
No, she won't now - but it was a long pedal up the slope again. 
The Senior Cat and I settled down to watch a little television at around 8pm. This is a very unusual event in our house. The last time this happened was - at the last election. 
By around 8pm we thought there might be some indication of which direction the election was taking. The Senior Cat also wanted to see how one of his former students was performing. He taught her many years ago.  Her father held the seat at the time. Who says we don't have political dynasties here?
At around 9pm the Senior Cat decided he had seen enough. I switched off gratefully and took myself off to the luxury of reading a decent book in bed.
It was a long day....and I am still hoping that the person who wanted to talk to me will do so. Then I might feel as if I had actually achieved something.

No comments: