Monday 1 October 2018

"Me too" and "I'm a victim"

and "I want compensation" and "feel sorry for me".
I am going, briefly, to talk to five young adults this morning. I won't be there for long. They don't need me hanging around - although they tell me I am more than welcome. They don't need other adults hanging around either. There will be two adults at home with them  but they won't interfere.
These five young adults get together when they can. Through school they used to get together on a regular basis. Now that they are all at university it is much less regular but a long weekend is usually seen as a perfect opportunity to "hang out" together. They tell me they need to do this because they can relax completely in one another's company.
There are three boys in the group and two girls. There have been others come and go but, over the past few years, it has been just the five of them. They are a very close knit group - and yes, they can knit too.
My late friend M.... taught them all to knit - and they have been knitting ever since. She taught a great many children to knit. She taught them to distract them from long stays in hospital or painful procedures or because they simply couldn't get out and do what other children were doing.
These five young adults all have disabilities, two of them are in wheelchairs and the others all have mobility problems. They have had a range of serious health issues, some of which are ongoing. 
On occasions they missed school...and they have missed a lot of other things as well.
All five of them have made it to university - and all five of them are doing extremely well there. 
No, it hasn't been easy. They work hard. They've had help of course. Other people, two of the fathers, an aunt, and yours truly have all given them a bit of extra tuition here and there. One of the mothers is an almost daily taxi service -  but get that rail line extended and he will get himself there thank you very much. An aunt has had the two girls - cousins - living with her during term time. 
All five young adults know all this and,  in return, they are trying to do something for others. My friend M.... first taught them the need for  this. "It's not me first but me second," she kept telling them.
They knit...and knit...and knit. C....'s mother and I scour the charity shops for yarn for them. A late friend in the US worked for a knitting magazine and she sent yarn from time to time. Now two more friends in the US are sending beautiful yarn - some of which I will take to them today. 
They are old enough and expert enough to thoroughly appreciate really good yarn now. What has come in the past week will be turned into hats, shawlettes, mittens, small socks and more - for others in need. Everything they make is for other people. It's a rule they decided on some years ago and they have never deviated from it. 
And they are confident enough now to try new ideas. If they don't know how to do something they'll look it up on the 'net - or ask me. I can suggest things - and they will try them.
There is no "me too" or "I'm a victim" about this group. They're much too busy for that. Oh yes, there's the occasional grumble but they are back on the job quickly.
The yarn I take them today will be received with genuine gratitude. They will discuss it and share it out. Next time they meet - which will now be in the summer because of exams and assignments - they will have made a variety of things. Those things will go to others in need or raise money for others in need.
There is no "feel sorry for me" here. They actually consider themselves to be lucky.
Perhaps they are.   

No comments: