Wednesday 17 October 2018

The register of MPs interests

is again under scrutiny. This tends to happen when there is a change of government but it can happen at other times as well. 
There is also a tendency to more closely scrutinise the interests of those to the right than the left. Perhaps this is in the belief that those on the "right" side of politics are more likely to own property and have other pecuniary interests than those on the "left".
The reality of course is that it helps to have such interests to fall back on in the event of losing your seat at the next election.
It also means I have known people who might have entered politics if they had had the means to do so. Some of those people - and they come from all corners of political thinking - might have made excellent members of parliament. 
Some years ago I was invited to lunch by a politician. Parliament was on at the time. He didn't have a lot of time but he wanted information from me so we ate in the dining room at parliament house. He knew I didn't feel comfortable about it.
     "Cat, it's work for me...and for you."
I suppose it was. I know I met more than one of his colleagues there, two of whom (from opposite sides  but supportive of the matter) asked to join us when they discovered the purpose of the meeting. Yes, I suppose I worked for my lunch. 
Was it a legitimate expense on his part? I suppose it was
I don't doubt politicians expenses should be scrutinised. You are spending public money, money provided by the taxpayer.  You should be able to account for and justify every cent. That doesn't really happen right now. It should.
But is it any business of ours what else a politician owns unless it is likely to influence the way s/he votes? I think not. Yes, there should be a register of their interests but it should be confidential and held by an independent body with the power to advise the Governor or Governor-General if it believes that a government has voted to benefit the financial interests of its members. Only if that has then proved to be the case should someone's affairs become that public.
If that happened I believe politicians would actually be more accountable, not less. 

No comments: