Thursday 11 October 2018

Shirts, men's s shirts

and more men's shirts.
I went shirt hunting yesterday. 
I had to go to the dentist yesterday - for myself. I had to go to the bank - for the Senior Cat.  I did two loads of washing - for both of  us.
And I went shirt hunting - for the Senior Cat.
Oh yes, he has shirts. He has more than one shirt. He has more than one shirt even though I forcibly removed the one with the major tear in it from his paws.
    "No darling. It is not 'all right' and nobody can mend it either. It is going to be a rag for the shed. I am tearing it up right now." (I did. The poor darling looked rather startled.)
And then he actually said to me, "I think I need a new shirt."
Well yes, he did need a new shirt. I told him I would have a look in one of those large multi-department chain stores.
    "Don't make a special trip," he told me.
    "I need to go to the bank and ......  is just at the other end of the shopping centre."
Of course I get to the store in question and find that, since I last visited, they have changed everything around. I stood there with my tail flicking and my whiskers twitching in annoyance. How is a cat supposed to find things when humans change things around for no good reason?  Grrrrrowl. 
I went hunting. Oh yes, shirts....no, those are t-shirts. The Senior Cat never wears such things. According to him all shirts have buttons right up the front thank you very much. 
Those? No, he doesn't wear loud checks and most certainly does not wear floral shirts. 
Where were the "business" shirts? There had to be some somewhere. 
I prowled past more t-shirts. I tried to imagine the Senior Cat in one with a Darth Vader logo on the front or another with a cartoon character I didn't recognise. 
There was nobody around to ask of course. It isn't that sort of place. I found another frustrated shopper, a really harassed looking human.
    "All I want is a plain white shirt," she told me, "My husband won't wear anything else."
 I sympathised. The Senior Cat will wear other things if forced to do so  but he is of the "all 'good' shirts should be white" brigade as well.
Finally we found some...nothing in the Senior Cat's size and, while nice, more than I wanted to pay for one. 
My fellow shopper agreed.
    "This is ridiculous," she told me, "And do people actually wear this sort of thing to work?"
I must admit that I wasn't taken with the shirt in broad red and white stripes.
     "Perhaps if  you support whatever football team it is?" I suggested. 
At least that made her smile.
And then, at last, hidden away we found  white shirts.  White shirts with long sleeves and white shirts with short sleeves. They were exactly the same sort of shirt I had just torn into pieces.
I looked at the sizes. I found the right size. I took it from the rack and took it to the checkout.
The girl at the checkout looked at it and then looked at me.
   "Where did you find those? My partner won't wear anything else."
Isn't it time these shirts were in a highly visible position?

2 comments:

Jan Jones said...

Well done for persevering. I think I'd have been inclined to buy two, just in case they've disappeared by the time you need another!

catdownunder said...

Actually Jan I did buy two - the other one was the short sleeved version for the upcoming summer. The Senior Cat will be 96 in February but he may need to cool off before then!