Wednesday 5 June 2019

Growing old

is not fun. I have known that for a very long time now. I am not legally "old" yet - although I sometimes wonder if I really am an ancient cat.
I have observed a great many people around me growing older. When my parents moved into this house they were younger than I am now. They had both retired.
The Senior Cat was only 61 when they moved here. He was exhausted from sorting out difficult schools and getting them back on track. He didn't want to go into the central office to be an inspector of schools or move up the ladder to further administration but he didn't want another very difficult school either. He wanted a life outside school even though he had found it stimulating as well as challenging. The Education Department had hoped he might stay long enough to sort out one more school but he wasn't well. He could get his superannuation and said, "No, enough. I don't think I can do the job as well as you would expect." 
It was probably the right decision. He started making conjuring apparatus for his fellow magicians. He started making late Victorian and early Edwardian wooden toys and talking about them to service groups all over the city - and beyond.  For some years he had a stall at the local "Earth Fair" - an annual Christmas craft fair. That was partly designed to keep the Black Cat out of mischief but he did enjoy doing it too. He went into his beloved garden and we had carrots growing under the hedge and strawberries down the driveway...every available space was used.
He didn't give up teaching. He taught woodwork, conjuring, study skills, English and more - but he taught it to individuals or small groups. He didn't have to worry about staff and grounds and unruly children and obnoxious parents.
But he stopped doing that a couple of years ago. He is still doing a little pottering in the shed and he gardens after a fashion  - in pots.
Now he sometimes sleeps for two hours in the afternoon. 
Yesterday he had a routine medical appointment in the morning. He went to a concert for "Seniors" in the afternoon. He said he enjoyed the latter.
But, he's been quiet. I know he's frustrated, very frustrated. He gets angry with himself  and upset because I need to do things for him that he could once do for himself. 
And tomorrow his best and closest friend for more than sixty years is coming for lunch. His  wife is bringing him but we aren't sure if K... will even really know he is here or who is with. They haven't seen one another for months because of transport issues and phone conversations are impossible. 
I know that is really worrying the Senior Cat. He knows he is going to have to face the reality of the situation then.
And I can't do a damn thing about it.  Growing old is not fun.

3 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

Sympathy! OH and I are well into it now, and still find ourselves surprised by the frustration of it all. And the helpful people who say "It comes to us all" are very annoying.

Holly said...

Geriatrics here is defined as 65 and older. I am torn, having the transportation discounts is good. But being considered elderly? Absolutely not.

It is hard seeing one's contemporaries failing as that brings it even closer to home.

catdownunder said...

Extremely annoying Jean!
Holly you are not old - yet! I reckon it has to start around 80 at the very earliest!