Wednesday 26 June 2019

I was given an unexpected gift

yesterday - a bag with cats all over it. I have other bags with cats on them (I like them!) but this one will be especially useful because it folds into a smaller bag. 
The cats are not in the least bit realistic and that somehow makes them even more fun.  They are blue, red, purple, green, yellow and more. They have checks and spots and stars.
It was a lovely present to get - especially for no reason at all. 
And I thought about such things as I pedalled home. 
I like to give people things too -  unexpected things. I gave someone a biscuit (cookie) cutter recently. It was just a little thing I happened to find on a rack in a shop. It should not have been where it was. Someone had obviously picked it up and put it down in the wrong place. 
No, they don't need to be big. I can remember someone, who knows about such things, telling me that one of the personal gifts Queen Elizabeth has really appreciated is a "handbag clip" - something that holds her handbag down at a table she is sitting at. I can well imagine that might be very useful for someone in her position. 
I don't often go deliberately looking for something for someone I will just happen to see something and think, "That's just right for X.... " If I have the money, and it will usually only be a tiny amount, then I will buy it. I might put the object to one side for a bit knowing that the time is not yet right but it will be there waiting to do the "thank you" or the "you need a hug" or "I just wanted to say..." or even "there is no reason but I saw it and you need it".
I have had varying reactions to such gifts but they have, apart from once, been positively received. I have seen the things that can be used, used. I made a scarf for someone who has moved interstate. Recently she sent a photograph of herself wearing it.  I was told about the outing. The scarf wasn't mentioned again but it was there and I could see it was being used. That's good. It's the sort of silent thanks that means so much.
I can't remember all the small gifts I have given. I wish I could remember all the small gifts I have been given.
What I do remember is that one gift which was rejected but even that gave me something - the determination to go on doing it to others.. 
I will go on giving the people I love and know and like little things - for no good reason at all.   

No comments: