Saturday 1 June 2019

The road toll

in this state has risen dramatically again.
It was going down for a while but the last eight days have been horrendous. No, that is not an exaggeration. The road safety people and the police are worried...and so they should be.
I am worried. I am starting to feel more nervous than usual about being out on the roads. 
I try to stay on the footpaths but that isn't always possible. It isn't necessarily safer either. People come out of driveways without looking. I also need to be very cautious when passing pedestrians.
Yesterday someone gave me a long horn beep and then a mouthful of choice Anglo-Saxon as he turned the corner. The fact that he had no business to be turning the corner  (the green pedestrian sign was showing ) was of no importance at all. According to him I was a "f....stupid c.... (with) no  business to be out on the roads". He was holding a mobile phone. I wonder, if he was using it, what the person at the other end thought.
It's a pity the cops were not around. 
And I wonder what good that would do any way. Apparently far too many people continue to drive when they have lost their licences and when their cars are unregistered and uninsured - and even  not roadworthy. An older friend, who was still a good driver with no accidents or violations, was hit the other day by someone whose car brakes "failed". Injury wise it wasn't serious but it could have been very serious. He told me, "The chap who hit me actually said he'd had a bit of a problem with the brakes - just hadn't got around to fixing it." His own car isn't worth repairing. He is now without transport...because someone else didn't do the right thing.
If I am on the road then I'll pull over. I always give way. Cars can travel faster than I can pedal. It still worries me. 
I have to pedal some distance to a meeting today. I will be teaching the class after the meeting. I would like to be able to arrive feeling, if not relaxed, ready to do a good job. Instead I am leaving at least fifteen minutes earlier than I should need to leave.I leaving early so I can take my time and be responsible - but I would rather know that I could arrive safely because everyone was doing the right thing.
Is it just me? Am I doing something wrong?

1 comment:

Holly said...

You are right. It has been only in Europe where there is no entitlement to drive that I have seen limited driver's licenses at all successful. That is because when you lose your license - they also take the license plates for the car. Drive someone else's? They also lose their license!

But then you can do that it Western Europe where you have good public transportation. And huge number of traffic cameras.