Wednesday 26 February 2020

Falls in the elderly

can be very, very serious. They can be the "beginning of the end" and more. I think we all know that.
 So finding that the Senior Cat had managed to fall over yet again was alarming. 
He was outside planting bulbs in to the planter boxes we have at waist height. It is the only way he can do any gardening these days. He was sitting on his walker (rollater) and had tried to stand. This is an awkward business these days. It requires much effort on his part. I always hold my breath as I watch him. 
This time he didn't manage it. He landed on the grass. I found him sitting there. He was extremely cross - with himself.
And he should have been cross with himself.
He was not carrying the little buzzer that my BIL had set up. That can call me if he needs help while he is outside.
He was not wearing his "beeper". If he presses that it calls the ambulance service.
He should not have tried to stand up by himself when he had his walker in such an awkward location. (In fact he should not have sat down there. He should have had the walker facing the other way so that it was stable.)
I found him sitting there.
There is no way I can help him stand.
    "No, I haven't hurt myself," he told me, "See if J.... is at home."
    "It's Tuesday. J... is at work."
There was nobody else around either, not on a Tuesday lunchtime.
I tried to get hold of Middle Cat. She knows assorted people who might have been able to help. She was not answering her phone.
    "I'll have to get the ambulance service."
    "But they will insist on taking me to hospital and there is nothing wrong."
    "I can't leave you sitting there."
He sighed and growled at himself and used a mild swear word. Using such a word meant that he was very upset indeed.
I went inside and pressed his alarm button. I explained the situation. I told them it was not urgent but yes we did need "lifting assistance". 
The ambulance arrived about forty minutes later. I had by then put his hat back on his head, put a hat on my head and sat with him in such a way that endeavoured to keep the sun off him. 
Two nice men came in, checked him out before helping him stand. He nearly fell over again in the process and they looked at me. I looked at them. He managed to get inside and sank into a chair in just the way Middle Cat tells him off for doing. They checked him out some more. I handed over the list of his medications. We keep it under a magnet on the fridge these days.
    "Sorry, we have to take you in,"they told him. 
He could refuse to go but I know they need to cover themselves because of one lot of medication he is on - a "blood thinner". By now he was feeling even more annoyed with himself and apologetic to them.
I managed to get Middle Cat. She sighed and said, "I'll deal with it. Tell them I'll see them there."
Lunch was ruined. It didn't seem to matter. I knew the Senior Cat had not really hurt himself. He wasn't abusing the ambulance men or threatening them with violence or any of the other things I know can happen. I knew he didn't need me so I didn't go with him.
I did the things I needed to do and Middle Cat brought him home about five in the afternoon. 
We were lucky this time. I hope there isn't a next time although I know it is likely.
And we are lucky in the ambulance service, very lucky indeed.

3 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

Oh dear another one. What can anyone say - I am sending thoughts to you: not much use but the best I can do.

Beryl Kingston said...

I feel for you Cat. This is a very difficult situation even though you've arranged for help I'm impressed by how thorough you've been. Lots and lots of love to you both. xxxx

catdownunder said...

Thank you both of you...those sort of thoughts and sentiments are always welcome - very welcome.