Wednesday 12 February 2020

"Stuck on a cruise ship

somewhere out on the ocean - and not by choice."
Someone I know in the sort of vague "I recognise you from the library" way was saying this as I passed her yesterday. She gave me a nod of acknowledgment and I realised her mother was not with her. They usually come into the library together. Her mother is a voracious reader and I was going to give her some details about something else as well.
So, I asked.
    "Mum's gone to look after my grandfather. My grandmother is on that cruise ship that docked in Hong Kong - the one that no other port will take. She's with my great aunt. I'm worried sick. There haven't been any cases of that virus yet but if there are it will go through the ship like wild fire and those two would have no chance. What in the hell did the captain think he was doing?"
I could understand her concern. I'd be worried too. The Senior Cat would stand no chance at his age and her grandmother, although ten years younger, is not in the best state of health. It was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime. It was supposed to be real respite from looking after her invalid husband. 
I wonder just how many other people on that ship are in a similar situation? Someone else cheerfully said to me, "Think of it - all that holiday!"
It wouldn't be a holiday. I doubt people are mixing. The news suggests people are staying in their own cabins. Being stuck in one of those, particularly in an inner one where there is no natural light or air,  would be worse than house arrest. What would you do all day?
I am not likely to go cruising. If I ever do please remind me to take a lot of knitting and a lot to read - oh and a large pile of notebooks and pens to write up the experience ready for the blog. 

No comments: