Friday 28 February 2020

The bank statement made

no sense at all.
I have one of those "long term deposits" - the sort which is supposed to earn you a little extra interest.  The deposit is not for a huge amount of money. 
I do not have a huge amount of money and I need to be very careful with what I do have. Even the long term deposit earns me so very little interest the actual amount, allowing for inflation, is going backwards. At the present time I can do nothing about that. It is the way things have to be.
But then I had a letter from the bank. It was a bank statement of sorts. There was my long term deposit number. The rest of the statement said "$0.00" - each line of it.
By the time I got the statement the bank had closed for the day. It was useless phoning the number you need to phone. If someone had cleaned out my long term deposit then they had done it days ago. I couldn't work out how that was possible. I don't do electronic banking and any purchases I make over the internet are through Paypal or using a separate card with a very limited amount of money on it - one which has no association with the bank at all. 
No, I wasn't panicking - well, not yet. I was worried. The Senior Cat was worried too. I had to tell him what had happened because it meant another trip to the bank. (I had been the day before and had hoped it would not be necessary to go again for at least another six months.)
It takes me half an hour to pedal to the bank. That in itself was infuriating. I didn't have the time but I had to make the time. I had to wait until it was safe to leave the Senior Cat.
Would there be a queue at the bank?
There was a fine misty rain all the way. That made me crosser than ever. 
At the bank the "meet and greet" man looked at the letter and said to me,
    "All it means is that you have closed off the account."
    "No, I have not!" I told him.
    "But you must have. We don't send letters like that out unless you have."
     "I haven't touched the account. It is due up for renewal next month. I want to speak to someone about it."
     "You'll have to wait."
     "I will wait."
     "It might be some time," he told me, "I am sure if you think about it you will realise what you have done."
He smirked. There was no other word for it. I could see  him thinking, 
     "Stupid, elderly, female, doesn't know what she has done...."
     "I don't mind charging you if you keep me waiting too long," I told him, "My rate for my clients is...."
I got no further. He hastily told me to sit down. There was one person ahead of me. Whatever they wanted was quickly dealt with. I heard Mr Smirk telling the clerk about me. It wasn't very polite.
The young bank clerk looked a little wary of me but I smiled nicely. I purred nicely at him.
He took the letter. He looked up the records on his computer. We looked at the screen together. My deposit was still sitting there - as I thought it almost certainly would be. 
The young bank clerk looked at me. I looked at him.
     "Thank you," I told him.
     "I'll let them know what has happened," he told me.
I nodded and prowled out past Mr Smirk. He wasn't looking at me but, as I passed, I couldn't resist saying.
      "All sorted. Perhaps it was a computer glitch."
I hope that wiped the smirk from his face.

2 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

I would have wanted to add "or perhaps some idiot pressed the wrong button." but then I am older thsn you and care even less for being patronised!

Allison said...

I hope you requested an updated statement.