Friday 17 April 2020

Competitive sport seems to be

more important than the economy in the minds of some people. There appear to be demands that the football be allowed to go ahead whatever else might happen. It is apparently almost a national emergency...or is it?
Now yes of course I understand that football is a livelihood for some people. I understand that if matches are not played some people will lose their jobs. That doesn't make me happy, quite the opposite. 
It still doesn't mean that I think football is so important that it should be allowed to go ahead if it is not considered safe to do so.
At present we are doing well in this state. The danger from Covid19 is not over but we are doing well. I am still worried by the fact that my doctor nephew and his wife, a nurse, are on the front line. We won't see them for a very long time. Middle Cat and my BIL have not seen them for the same length of time.  It simply isn't safe. 
Until it is safe for them to see us then it is not safe to hold a football match...even without the spectators. Football is a "contact" sport. It is dangerous at the best of times. If you add the virus into the mix then you have something that is potentially very serious indeed. 
   "Oh but you could isolate the players from the rest of the community," someone told me yesterday. (We were talking at more than the requisite distance. ) He is fuming that a decision still has not been made to hold the matches. "Don't people realise how important this is?"
Important? I don't understand that. Yes, I know people "love their football" but isn't keeping people safe more important? We don't need people to risk their lives like that just so that couch potatoes can be entertained.  
I know that actual playing careers in football tend to be short-lived. Unless you are among the top few then you possibly don't earn a lot from it but it is a choice that people make. 
When I was a kitten I remember the cricketers had other careers as well. A lot of cricketers worked in banks. Back then it was the sort of job where the boss would see that you were available. It reflected well on them too. The cricketers didn't get paid nearly as much. I don't know what happened to the footballers. Was it the same? When did all this change?
When I think of all the things we actually need to get up and running again, things that are important to the future of the country, I wonder why the sports industry seems to believe it is some sort of special case. It isn't. 
We need to get out and exercise instead.

3 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

Sour-puss speaking. I think football is a completely pointless enterprise, and should be forbidden. Full Stop. It has only one thing in its favour - it occupies the empty space between the ears of the people who don't have any brain cells to use for that purpose. I suppose it also provides n alternative to kicking the neighbour's cat.

catdownunder said...

The Downunder version is also very dangerous - almost as bad as the rugby "scrum". Middle Cat would not allow her boys to play it - or soccer or rugby.

jeanfromcornwall said...

I just thought - You don't have to be brain dead to play football, but you will be if you do.
I don't think I am quoting anyone.