Tuesday 7 April 2020

Self isolation is over

for our neighbour across the road. 
I haven't spoken to her yet but she arrived home at around lunch time yesterday. I think her partner must have broken the world record for getting out the door to greet her. (I could see this from our front window and hastily turned my back on what was probably a very intimate moment.)
I think I have explained before that S... is a paediatrician. She naturally takes issues like self-isolation very seriously. 
I also know that we will not see my nephew or his partner, a doctor and a nurse, for months. They are not - yet - on the front line as they have other roles to play but they also take the isolation measures extremely seriously. I suspect, although I have not heard from them, that they are also doing more than usual so that others can be on the front line.
And I do know people on the front line. Some of them are friends, others are people I have worked with and more.
It totally, absolutely and utterly infuriates me that anyone in the medical profession is being abused right now. Yes, I can understand the anger and the frustration and the despair and the grief of being told to isolate when someone you love is critically ill. Of course you want to be there. Right then it seems like the most important thing in the world and the worst possible idea. I have far too much imagination when it comes to such things and my despair if I was in that position with the Senior Cat is something I am trying desperately hard not to contemplate.  
What I cannot understand is the currently healthy members of the public abusing (and even spitting on) members of the medical profession. I cannot understand them saying that members of the medical profession are "spreading the virus". It is much more likely that these currently healthy people who are ignoring rules about "social distancing" and "hygiene" and "hand washing" and "stay at home" are doing that themselves. 
I had to go out yesterday. I had no choice. Middle Cat had to go with me. We observed the rules. We saw other people failing to observe the rules.
Perhaps that is why we were greeted with a glare by a "meet and greet" person. No, she did not want to let us into the bank. We should be able to do that transaction on line. She was as abusive as  it was possible to be without actually shouting at  us. Middle Cat, who is much better than I am at handling this sort of thing, stood her ground and we were permitted to speak to a teller. The issue took some sorting out - and the teller agreed it could not have been done on line or over the phone. 
It did not help that the "meet and greet" person was Chinese in appearance.  Middle Cat and I tried to be charitable. The girl was probably getting abused by other people. 
All this really isn't helping anyone. That word "thank you" is even more important right now.

No comments: