Sunday 26 April 2020

Knitting, crochet and other

craft should be speeding ahead during this "stay at home" lark - but they aren't. Other things are getting in the way.
As someone who works from home anyway not a lot has changed. The balance of my work has changed. There are far fewer aid workers going out. (Those I work with are not likely to be going anywhere right now. The sort of help they give has, sadly, had to stop.) I am not doing much of what I normally do with them. 
Instead I have students needing help here. It worries me how many students lack confidence about working on their own. I really did think that, by the time they finished their secondary years, they were supposed to have the skills with which to do this but apparently not.
But yesterday was quiet. I took time out to look at the "mess" on the table in the dining area. It isn't really a mess but it has reached that stage where it looks like a mess. It has also reached that stage of "why did I start to do one like this?" The table is not the right height for what I am doing but there is nowhere else to do it so I can only work for short periods before the ache along my spine tells me, "Go and do something else you silly cat!" I then prowl off and leave it. 
What I am working on is rather like a jigsaw puzzle with flexible pieces. There are rules - of a sort.  And yes, I will get it done. 
I thought I might get more done during this time but, apart from the compulsory exercise session (twenty minutes of pedalling around the streets), I spent time pulling weeds from pots. 
The Senior Cat barely ventures out of doors now. It's an effort. He comes along our short passageway with one paw barely in front of the other. It's worries me even though I know he is ninety-seven. This time last year he would have been pulling the weeds out. Now I do it because I want him to have the pleasure of seeing the tulip bulbs flower. It is why I have sprinkled other flower seed among all this. Last night it rained properly for the first time in months and I have hopes something might happen.
The flower seed is a mixture called "Monet's Meadow". I doubt it will produce the magnificent mix that the picture promised but I hope it will produce just a few colourful flowers for the Senior Cat to enjoy. S.... is going to move the pots so the Senior Cat can see them from his bedroom window. 
Given the choice between "the mess" and giving the Senior Cat something nice to look at was no choice at all - the something nice to look at came first. There really might be something in this "feed thy soul" idea. 
And today I will do some more with "the mess". 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

“A jigsaw with flexible pieces”! Scrumbling? Tell us more!

I am enjoying the thought of your father (and others) enjoying the flowers to come in the pots and garden.

LMcC

catdownunder said...

Yes, a scrumble piece - it's slow going!