Monday 22 June 2020

"And how did you feel about that?"

is the question  the cat is "asking".
Middle Cat keeps us supplied with a "Bad Cat diary" - a tear off calendar of cat pictures with captions. This morning's cat is on the psychiatrist's seat wearing a collar and bow tie and asking the question. The cat is called Mozart - age two and a half years.
Yes, I suppose it is funny in a way but I have had about enough of all the pseudo-psychology and pseudo-psychiatry which has been circulating of late. Everyone seems to have an "expert" opinion about everyone else. 
It is this pseudo-psychology/psychiatry which is used to explain bad behaviour and downright nastiness. No, it isn't because the teacher told you off for "borrowing"  your neighbour's pencil in school that you decided on a life of crime to "get back" at society. It's because you made the wrong choices.
Yesterday someone came to help me. I have only met him once before. His mother had asked him to come over and look at my computer. He is one of those incredible technical whizz kids who can do all sorts of things that make no sense to me at all. I was worried I had been  "hacked" and he turned up to finish checking on site rather than simply remotely. I know what he does for a living and I was happy to let him investigate.
Was all my work data safe and secure?  Yes. It would take a very determined person to get into that. The technical issue had nothing to do with me at all. Someone else had been hacked. That had caused the problem. It had been "very cleverly done" according to him. I don't know what he did but I heard him say to himself, "Got you! That's fixed you!" 
He has sent a message to the person who has been hacked and it will be up to them to take the final step to secure their data. Now he assures me, and I have no reason not to believe him, that he managed to do all this without breaking the law. I know there are certain things he can do for the purposes of his work that we technical imbeciles are not permitted to do. He may have done something like that. I don't know. I didn't ask. Sometimes it is better not to know. 
Afterwards though we discussed the issue in general. He tells me that there are very young people, mostly male, who can "trespass" almost anywhere without any great difficulty. For them it is a sort of game. It is often intended to do no harm. They "just walk in to take a look" and then leave again. Unfortunately some of them then realise they have done it without getting caught so they do it again and again until they believe they can enter into places and do harm, great harm, without getting caught. 
I would very much like to talk to the person who hacked into the other person's private space. I doubt they bothered much, if at all, with what was on it. They simply used it to move on a little further and do some damage there - the equivalent of pulling out plants in a garden. It was like walking through a private garden in order to access a more public space and then doing damage.  
I wonder what excuses they would use to justify their actions? Would they claim some childhood event caused them severe trauma? 
Yes of course traumas in childhood can influence people. Some people are unfortunate enough to live through the most appalling experiences. They don't necessarily turn out to be bad people. The Governor of this state, a highly regarded man, was a refugee. He had an immensely traumatic childhood. I know a man who saw both his parents murdered. He's a doctor who works in the slums of a big city in a South American country. It's a very dangerous place but he has chosen to work there - because of what happened in his childhood. I know a great many other people who have experienced great traumas in childhood and gone on to do good.  
The person who hacked will never see it that way. They would justify their actions. If something similar happened to them and they were asked "And how did you feel about that?"  I wonder what their answer would be? I doubt they would feel anything apart from, "It's all about me."

No comments: