Sunday 7 June 2020

"Protesting" is a democratic right

but it comes with responsibilities.
Yesterday there was a largely peaceful "protest" in the city but I was alarmed by how many people attended it. There were more than the usual number that such a protest would garner. 
Ms W gave me a clue as to why. 
    "Some of the others are going."
    "And you aren't?"
    "No. They reckon I don't care but it is because I do care. They are just going so they can go out."
I waited and she sighed,
    "I talked to Dad about it. He explained about how they closed off the APY lands to protect people. What if someone goes to the protest and gets the virus and then takes it off there?"
The traditional APY lands most certainly do not need anyone with the virus going in to visit. It would be catastrophic. They were isolated from the rest of the state even when we were in the most serious state of isolation. Rightly so too. There are already far too many health issues in those areas.
   "Have you tried explaining that to the others?"
   "Yes but they won't listen. It's just like something to do for them. It's like an excuse to go out. I mean like if they really cared they would always be nice  - like you said this morning in the paper."
I had the lead letter in yesterday's paper.  
    "You know my friend S.... ,"Ms W went on, "Her dad has a heap of people working for him. There's a little bunch of them who are all different... two boys with Down Syndrome who went to that school down there and a guy in a wheelchair and then there is this big tall really skinny boy who comes from up north somewhere. He's from the lands. He's learning how to do things - like an apprentice - and Mr R.... says they are just as important as anyone else. He tries to get everyone to mix. I don't know if it works but it should be like that."
I agreed. I also agreed with her decision not to go to the protest. I left her sweeping up leaves. 
On my way home I saw her father who was concerned by the whole protest going ahead. The government was not happy with it but knew all too well that to refuse to allow it would bring about criticisms of "racism". It was the job of the Police Commissioner to sanction it and he was, rightly, concerned about the potential for infection.
I wonder how many people would have gone to a protest if the situation had been normal? It is a long weekend here. Many people would have been away or going to sport or other activities. Social isolation is not likely to have changed attitudes or behaviour.  Ms W may be right about some of them when she said, "They are just going to go out."
We need to change permanently.

No comments: